Holbeck

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

If anyone is interested, Sweet Street is closed by the Commercial pub for the removal of the walkway / bridge linking the two parts of the Reality (formerly Kays) empire on either side of the road.It looks like they're just cutting it off and lowering it with a crane.The "regeneration" of the area goes on apace it seems.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: If anyone is interested, Sweet Street is closed by the Commercial pub for the removal of the walkway / bridge linking the two parts of the Reality (formerly Kays) empire on either side of the road.It looks like they're just cutting it off and lowering it with a crane.The "regeneration" of the area goes on apace it seems. Its also something to do with the reopening of the road under the railway bridge,lets hope that this leads to a quickening up of the development in the area,the Kays development and Temple Mills seems to have gone quiet.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Given the jitters in the money markets, I'll bet we'll start to see a lot more proposed developments go the way of the "Green Bank" plans and not come to fruition or be vastly scaled down.I'm not saying thats happening to these specific plans, but these sites in Holbeck are a good walk from the nearest parts of the city centre, with no public transport links to speak of and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how many £125,000 studio apartments a city actually needs or can sustain...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: Given the jitters in the money markets, I'll bet we'll start to see a lot more proposed developments go the way of the "Green Bank" plans and not come to fruition or be vastly scaled down.I'm not saying thats happening to these specific plans, but these sites in Holbeck are a good walk from the nearest parts of the city centre, with no public transport links to speak of and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how many £125,000 studio apartments a city actually needs or can sustain... I think the day for the luxurious flat in the town centre are not over,just will not be on the same scale as before.Affordable housing in the centre will probably be the way forward(less than 100k).As for transport links there is some headway,£5M has been earmarked towards the expected cost of £16m for a south entrance to city station.Apparently this will be accessible by a big chuffing lift that will go up from the Granary wharf level to a ticket barrier,which in itselef is connected to the overhead walkway at the west of the station.Take into account the refurb of the the dark arches and then you could say there is some serious planning going into improving connections to Holbeck.AND,is there going to be the arena on Sweet street?.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]