Saint John Centre

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jann

Saint John Centre

Post by Jann »

Have just read today on Leeds List site that Saint Johns Centre MIGHT be having a refurbishment but no planning application formally made yet , the floors above ground level might be converted into 270 student accommodation and improvements made in the centre, and a roof top garden for the use of only the residents in the student flats, onsite parking for 78 bikes, and some new landscaping, nothing officially approved yet though

Leodian

Re: Saint John Centre

Post by Leodian »

Jann wrote:
Fri 19 Apr, 2024 11:58 am
Have just read today on Leeds List site that Saint Johns Centre MIGHT be having a refurbishment but no planning application formally made yet , the floors above ground level might be converted into 270 student accommodation and improvements made in the centre, and a roof top garden for the use of only the residents in the student flats, onsite parking for 78 bikes, and some new landscaping, nothing officially approved yet though
Thanks for that Jann :)

Developers really must feel there is a need for ever more students accommodations! I would therefore suggest for them that the inside and outside Leeds Market should be demolished for new high storey flats (sorry, I should say apartments). Also Kirkgate and the Crown Street car park, the older parts of Duncan Street, Templar Street and area. City Square must be a prime site and the area in front of the Civic Hall. The Town Hall is clearly taking up space that could be students accommodation. Indeed why not demolish all the shops as there seems to be no need for them. OK, I'm not really serious but I do wonder just what developers may already have in mind. :o
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Leodian wrote:
Sun 21 Apr, 2024 2:33 pm
Jann wrote:
Fri 19 Apr, 2024 11:58 am
Thanks for that Jann :)

Developers really must feel there is a need for ever more students accommodations! I would therefore suggest for them that the inside and outside Leeds Market should be demolished for new high storey flats (sorry, I should say apartments). Also Kirkgate and the Crown Street car park, the older parts of Duncan Street, Templar Street and area. City Square must be a prime site and the area in front of the Civic Hall. The Town Hall is clearly taking up space that could be students accommodation. Indeed why not demolish all the shops as there seems to be no need for them. OK, I'm not really serious but I do wonder just what developers may already have in mind. :o
I was a student in Leeds 50 years ago, and then we were then just a small part of the general population. someone com ing to Leeds today might think that they comprise 60% of the population, certainly in the central area and the area surrounding .

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Like Chemimike I was also a student in Leeds 50 years ago. On my occasional visits to the city, I get the impression that so many former commercial and industrial buildings have been converted to residential flats or student accommodation that there is hardly anywhere left for people to work. These buildings used to employ thousands of actual workers producing useful goods. What on earth do all the residents of these flats do for a living? - Work from home, attend Zoom meetings and send each other e-mails all day. In other words, producing lots of "airware".
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!