Collapsed building in Kirkgate

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jann

Collapsed building in Kirkgate

Post by Jann »

I saw a very brief item on local tv news last week about the building that has collapsed in Kirkgate , I can’t remember what this building used to be because it’s been unoccupied and in a terrible condition for years, can anyone remember?

warringtonrhino

Re: Collapsed building in Kirkgate

Post by warringtonrhino »

It was an opticians.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Some photos at https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... re-4591222. I don't know if the council has the power to order the owner to make the buildings safe but I hope they do.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I suspect it might take a Compulsory Purchase Order and that maybe what the owner is after. There have been rumours of redevelopment of that part of Kirkgate for years and given its City Centre locations it is ripe for it. However if the owners of the buildings have very little collateral other then the buildings they aren't going to be able to repair or redevelop. They might jump at the chance of selling to the council who would then be able to package the plot with outline planning permission for a developer who could afford it.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi mhoulden , many thanks for posting a link for the photos of the building in Kirk gate , such a shame it’s been allowed to remain in a terrible condition for years until this collapse, I know there’s other businesses on this street further along on the same side, it’ll be interesting to see how long it takes for something to be done,

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for the link mhoulden :).

Though that shows images of the collapsed building I thought I would still add the following from some that I took yesterday (April 16 2024) showing views taken from Kirkgate. The buildings are in a sorry state. I was amused by the 'Give Way' road sign!

I seemed unable to add more than 3 images in one post so in a following post I will add 2 views showing the rear of the buildings taken from the Crown Street Car Park.
CollapsedBuildingKirkgateApril162024(1).jpg
CollapsedBuildingKirkgateApril162024(1).jpg (176.42 KiB) Viewed 492 times
CollpasedBuildingKirkgateApril162024(2)..jpg
CollpasedBuildingKirkgateApril162024(2)..jpg (197.4 KiB) Viewed 492 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The attached images shows some of the views that I took on April 16 2024 from the Crown Street Car Park showing the rears of the buildings that front Kirkgate. Apart from some covering black sheets there isn't much obvious signs of the collapse. The second image does though show some interesting brick work on the right that looks as if there was once a roof that was later built upon. The graffiti is artistic!
BuildingsRearFromCrownStreetCarParkLeedsApril162024(1)..jpg
BuildingsRearFromCrownStreetCarParkLeedsApril162024(1)..jpg (168.81 KiB) Viewed 491 times
BuildingsRearFromCrownStreetCarParkLeedsApril162024(2)..jpg
BuildingsRearFromCrownStreetCarParkLeedsApril162024(2)..jpg (168.65 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Last edited by Leodian on Thu 18 Apr, 2024 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Leodian ! Thank you for posting the photos you took of the back of the buildings that collapsed in Kirkgate, I like the remark about the’Give Way’ traffic sign at the front of the building-maybe it should now read ‘Given Way’ or ‘Gave Way ‘ !!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jann wrote:
Wed 17 Apr, 2024 1:01 pm
Hi Leodian ! Thank you for posting the photos you took of the back of the buildings that collapsed in Kirkgate, I like the remark about the’Give Way’ traffic sign at the front of the building-maybe it should now read ‘Given Way’ or ‘Gave Way ‘ !!
:)

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

And they've taken away the "United We Stand" mural: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... es-4594876.

In 2013 a derelict building in Manchester burned down: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-22117085. The site was cleared and turned into a car park for a while. Later a modern building was put in its place. Kirkgate is supposed to be a conservation area so I hope it doesn't get nibbled away by this sort of neglect.