Site migration - ideas, updates and musings...

Don't know your RSS from your HTML? Click here
dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Hi all. Just putting this out there in case we have any freelance developers lurking about on the site.I'm recruiting for a developer to migrate SecretLeeds from the current software (which uses ASP.NET on Windows Server 2008 box) to phpBB (running on a LAMP stack).The current software is this: http://solutionsdesign.github.io/HnD/I want to use this instead: https://www.phpbb.com/I think the main job will be migrating the current database to the format used by phpBB. The current table structure will need to be reconfigured to work on phpBB. All user accounts, threads, messages and image attachments must be preserved. There are lots of photos posted in the forum and there have been two methods used to store them over the forum's lifetime. One method stored the images in a folder on the server, the other stored them in the database as (I think) Base64 encoded strings. Both will need to be made to work on the new site. I'm looking for an experienced developer who knows their way around both SQL and phpBB. Timescales are flexible, as there's no great urgency with the project.Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them! If you want to get in touch with me directly email duncan@tyrell.mobi.Cheers!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

I was having a look into this last night, with lots of "what ifs" and "supposings". I think SL is the only site left that uses HnD/LLBLGen Pro apart from the people who wrote it. If I was doing it, I'd start by installing phpBB on the current SL server, but in a separate directory, and database if possible. It can use SQL Server and PHP on IIS so that makes the migration easier. I'd create a couple of sample forums, users and posts to see how it all works before doing something like a INSERT from SELECT query to move the data across. phpBB expects image attachments to be files in folders rather than stored directly in the database so that would need sorting out. Once migrated successfully to Windows/IIS/SQL Server/PHP phpBB it's then easier to move it to LAMP, or it could just stay on the existing server.Could I do this? Probably, but I'd want to do a test run on a copy of the database first. Altogether I'd say it would probably take a full day or so to do the migration and make sure it works OK. It would have to be an evening or weekend thing because I already have a full time (salaried) job and I'd probably need to have a word with HMRC to see what tax implications there might be because I haven't done freelance work before.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

mhoulden wrote: I was having a look into this last night, with lots of "what ifs" and "supposings". I think SL is the only site left that uses HnD/LLBLGen Pro apart from the people who wrote it. If I was doing it, I'd start by installing phpBB on the current SL server, but in a separate directory, and database if possible. It can use SQL Server and PHP on IIS so that makes the migration easier. I'd create a couple of sample forums, users and posts to see how it all works before doing something like a INSERT from SELECT query to move the data across. phpBB expects image attachments to be files in folders rather than stored directly in the database so that would need sorting out. Once migrated successfully to Windows/IIS/SQL Server/PHP phpBB it's then easier to move it to LAMP, or it could just stay on the existing server.Could I do this? Probably, but I'd want to do a test run on a copy of the database first. Altogether I'd say it would probably take a full day or so to do the migration and make sure it works OK. It would have to be an evening or weekend thing because I already have a full time (salaried) job and I'd probably need to have a word with HMRC to see what tax implications there might be because I haven't done freelance work before. You could always do it for a Pie and a Pint
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hiya mhoulden. I'm clearly stone age mentality as I'm utterly baffled by the terminology in your "I think SL is the only site left that uses HnD/LLBLGen Pro apart from the people who wrote it. If I was doing it, I'd start by installing phpBB on the current SL server, but in a separate directory, and database if possible. It can use SQL Server and PHP on IIS so that makes the migration easier. I'd create a couple of sample forums, users and posts to see how it all works before doing something like a INSERT from SELECT query to move the data across. phpBB expects image attachments to be files in folders rather than stored directly in the database so that would need sorting out. Once migrated successfully to Windows/IIS/SQL Server/PHP phpBB it's then easier to move it to LAMP, or it could just stay on the existing server".I really must try to keep up to date with things. Mind you, I still don't really understand how switching on my television thingy that I can see images that were sent through the air!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Sorry should have updated this sooner - I've actually got someone working on it now mhoulden, but thanks for considering the project! And yes: the only other place that uses that software apart from SL is the discussion forum about the software itself... http://www.llblgen.com/tinyforum/cnosni - nice that after a year of ad revenue we can afford to pay someone more than a pie'n'a'pint to do it!Leodian this is not something you want to get your head round or more involved in - it's hardcore geek chat for people who don't spend enough time out in the sun Techie teasers:I'll also be revealing a new site design once the software has been updated and everything is rock solid and reliable, both data- and server-wise. It is a 'responsive' design, so will resize automatically to work nicely on any screen size. The stats indicate that these days around 1/3 of our visitors browse the site using Apple or Android phones and tablets. Hopefully the new format will make their lives easier and encourage folk to participate more.There will also be a new logo, a (slightly) updated colour scheme and a new page background. If anyone's interested I have a demo page I can share for feedback.Future development:Geo-location tagging is something I've been wanting to implement on here for years but never been able to because of the useless forum software. This would allow posts to have a latitude and longitude value associated with them, which would enable us to create interactive maps of posts and threads. It would also allow us to create interesting apps for phones and tablets so you could wander around the city and find out hyper-local information as you go. A SecretLeeds app that could pop up a notification when you pass over one of the tunnels to Kirkstall Abbey for instance...Also, a wiki. One of the issues with SecretLeeds is that we have so much data and information it's hard to find stuff. The new search function is handy (I created a dedicated search page the other day by the way, to try and make things easier - click 'Search' on the top menu). My solution to this is to create a SecretLeeds "wiki", which is a collaboratively edited information archive (like Wikipedia for example). If a thread was deemed worthy/noteable by the good folk of SL, it could be converted into an article on the wiki site. The most relevant facts, figures, photos and other media could be added to the article, leaving out the chat, banter and meanderings of a discussion thread. There would be links at the top of the thread and the wiki article pointing people to the other one for further/more condensed information, so we don't lose the connection between the two elements.Exciting times - nice to be able to do stuff for SL and move the whole thing forwards. Hope you approve of my ideas but I'm sure you'll let me know if you have any comments or suggestions This place is nothing without you guys so please do get involved in the discussion!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Any chance of incorporating a files section in the new site Duncan if you have enough memory space?As stated before there are lots of out of copyright books on leeds and district in pdf format that woukld be useful if we had one,not to mention scans of old maps as well.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi Dsco, if I might put my twopennorthworth in I'd like to see a different page for the forum when I first sign in - for years now its been the same list of 'Irregular Features' which are mostly very dated threads. How about having a page which shows the most current active threads as well as more contemporary discussions? Also more photos of interesting Leeds features with links to the relevant images / discussions on some kind of rotating gallery would be a nice feature as I sometimes feel the forum can look very text based, which I suppose in essence it is, but there could still be room for some visuals which might jog peoples memories and encourage new folks to contribute more. Of course I appreciate the hard work you put into the site and it mostly works very well, its just a suggestion. Keep up the good work!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Yep all good ideas, no reason why we can't do those.Files/download section is a good idea, I'll have a think about how to do that Steve.There used to be 'Most recent' and 'Most popular' boxes on the homepage Jon, they got lost somewhere along the way over the years. However there are plugins to do exactly that built into the new software so I'll certainly be using those.I like the idea of a gallery, again there used to be one of those here once upon a time. I'll have a think about how to do that too. Just occurred to me that the banner images at the top could be made to link to relevant articles as well. Hmm...Cheers guys

liits

Post by liits »

well the first two post are like reading the ingredients on a can of Red Bull. As to a sneak peek of the new design, I'd love to have a look.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: well the first two post are like reading the ingredients on a can of Red Bull. As to a sneak peek of the new design, I'd love to have a look. I think we all would