Can anyone help?

Don't know your RSS from your HTML? Click here
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Just recently I bought a new laptop. I'm having trouble opening messages from SL on the link in the message. I put the curser on the link and it makes a clinking noise. I have no trouble opening message from other contacts. Can anyone explain what could possibly wrong with my setup? Thanks in anticipation! Stutterdog
ex-Armley lad

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi stutterdog. For reasons that I don't know there are often problems getting links on SL to work. If a link does not work it often will if the whole link is copied and then pasted into a webpage locating box (I'm not sure what is the right name for that!). Hope it works for you with links that otherwise seem not to work.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Hi stutterdog - you don't say which browser you are using to surf the 'net. SL can be quite temperamental at times if you're not using Internet Explorer...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: Hi stutterdog. For reasons that I don't know there are often problems getting links on SL to work. If a link does not work it often will if the whole link is copied and then pasted into a webpage locating box (I'm not sure what is the right name for that!). Hope it works for you with links that otherwise seem not to work. For some reason, thr programme used in the construction of Secret Leeds does not always translate a web address into a fully 'clickable' link.Characters such as @ * _ are not recognised.The easy way to recognise a 'bad link' to to note whether or not it is fully underlined. If it is, it should work, if however the underlining is incomplete, the line will not extend to the end of the address.(A common one for this problem is a fligkr link where the owner does not replace the reference number with their name, causing the address to include an @. The link breaks at that point.For these, highlight the whole address, copy (control & C) then paste (control & V) into the browser address bar - or the 'webpage locating box' as Leodian so aptly called it!, and press enter .... and there you should have it

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Your "...the browser address bar - or the 'webpage locating box' as Leodian so aptly called it!" made me chameleon. I just could not think what it is called! My brain's slowly getting more addled I guess! Well I do sometimes struggle with some of the reportedly easy Sudokus in the YEP (I haven't tried today's yet). Edit added at 22:35ish. I've managed to solve the 'Easy' Sudoku in tonight's YEP. It took me about 30 minutes though, which I suspect is probably very slow.     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

raveydavey wrote: Hi stutterdog - you don't say which browser you are using to surf the 'net. SL can be quite temperamental at times if you're not using Internet Explorer... Thanks to the 3 Wise Men ,Leodian,Ravey-Davey and Chameleon. My computer was classifying SL messages as pop-ups and my blocker was not allowing me to access the threads for some reason.Thankks again.You were very helpfull. Stutterdog
ex-Armley lad

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

stutterdog wrote: raveydavey wrote: Hi stutterdog - you don't say which browser you are using to surf the 'net. SL can be quite temperamental at times if you're not using Internet Explorer... Thanks to the 3 Wise Men ,Leodian,Ravey-Davey and Chameleon. My computer was classifying SL messages as pop-ups and my blocker was not allowing me to access the threads for some reason.Thankks again.You were very helpfull. Stutterdog ....to protect your lot! There will likely be a small yellow dialogue box apear at the top of the screen offering you the choice of allowing pop ups from a site, that time, always or never.    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

chameleon wrote: stutterdog wrote: raveydavey wrote: Hi stutterdog - you don't say which browser you are using to surf the 'net. SL can be quite temperamental at times if you're not using Internet Explorer... Thanks to the 3 Wise Men ,Leodian,Ravey-Davey and Chameleon. My computer was classifying SL messages as pop-ups and my blocker was not allowing me to access the threads for some reason.Thankks again.You were very helpfull. Stutterdog ....to protect your lot! There will likely be a small yellow dialogue box apear at the top of the screen offering you the choice of allowing pop ups from a site, that time, always or never. Yes ,unfortunately I did not spot this until yesterday when I saw it flash when I clicked on the SL link.Thanks for the information chameleon,much appreciated    
ex-Armley lad

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

I don't know if I am allowed to ask this ,if not maybe the moderators will just delete.On Saturday I am buying a first laptop ,budget £500. I cant afford to make a mistake and have looked online at many over the last week.Today I went in to Leeds and looked at a nice shiny red HP,75O GB 6GB,Quad Core for £429 ,the chap in the store then said I would be better off buying a bundle. . this included the microsoft office key. . Norton 360 Gold. . anytime help for £30 and something called cloud . . .a storage thing.Do I really need all these? I will be buying some pc protection,on my desktop pc I have Norton and still have the disc that has six months left as it was a 3 user disc. Do I need the microsoft office key. . is there any free version online? Also there was a service for setting it all up ,I told him I can do that,he said ah but we will set it up so that any other user has to ask yor permission to download anything. . .I can do that Im sure of it.Any suggestions and any help would be appreciated.

simong

Post by simong »

I wouldn't bother with Norton, the free Microsoft antivirus is as good and there are other free alternatives. Likewise unless you *really* need Office, LibreOffice will do 99% of what you need Office for for free, and for that matter Google Docs is free. Cloud storage is nice for backups but again there are plenty of services that will give you space for, yup, free. It's just all upselling. The machine itself sounds good though and worth the price, but you might save £50 there if you shop around.