Hunslet RLFC - the 'jamjar' team

Your favourite days out round Leeds
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Trojan wrote: [The change to university colours was 1932 as I say and flame was red. If you see the old cig cards of Jack Walkington you will see the proper flame red. I've an Encyclopaedia of Sport which dates back to about 1960. In the front are colour plates of various famour sport clubs' badges, among them is Hunslet - as you say its a green sheild with a bright red heraldic animal the motto is "nihil sine deo" Nihil Sine Deo is "nothing without God"Those who sold the club up the river in 1973 were certainly without god!!The coat of arms is from the Hunslet Board of Guardians who doled out welfare money to the starving and destitute before the welfare state. I think they were in or near the Union Industries building.

carith

Post by carith »

Not sure but I believe they played in the white strip with chocholate V in the plate shield at wembly in 1997.as to the original stripA special general meeting was held on the 21st May 1883 and the following was passed:Resolved to have a rugby club and that the name to be changed from ' The Hunslet Cricket Club' to 'Hunslet Cricket and Football Club'Colours: Blue and White in squares. Players to pay for own Jerseys.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

carith wrote: Not sure but I believe they played in the white strip with chocholate V in the plate shield at wembly in 1997.as to the original stripA special general meeting was held on the 21st May 1883 and the following was passed:Resolved to have a rugby club and that the name to be changed from ' The Hunslet Cricket Club' to 'Hunslet Cricket and Football Club'Colours: Blue and White in squares. Players to pay for own Jerseys. Ok - 10 points if anyone can tell me where home games were played at this time???!!!come on Parksider!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

carith

Post by carith »

Woodhouse hill Hunslet behind the Cemetry Tavern (now The Parnaby Tavern) On a ground owned by the landlord Mr Cosworth.Must be worth 10 points just for his name?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

carith wrote: Woodhouse hill Hunslet behind the Cemetry Tavern (now The Parnaby Tavern) On a ground owned by the landlord Mr Cosworth.Must be worth 10 points just for his name? Bingo - 11 out of 10 I reckon!!This venue was also a cricket ground and once hosted a Yorkshire Match:http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive ... .htmlAbove is my attempt to photo the site of the cricket Ground - The Parnaby is hidden behind the trees. The ground would have been at the same approximate level as the bridge - not the level of the M621 which is in a cutting!!    
Attachments
__TFMF_rzw5zv45kdkyh1qo0y5ukn45_b9e5854c-57eb-4c35-bd3e-f9f0c65491fd_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_rzw5zv45kdkyh1qo0y5ukn45_b9e5854c-57eb-4c35-bd3e-f9f0c65491fd_0_main.jpg (186.54 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

carith

Post by carith »

They did indeed infact they played a game against the Aboriginal X1 on the same ground including two of thier players by the name of Dick-a-Dick and Bullocky. 100 point for naming the other nine??? plus the All-England X1 played there in 1868.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

carith wrote: They did indeed infact they played a game against the Aboriginal X1 on the same ground including two of thier players by the name of Dick-a-Dick and Bullocky. 100 point for naming the other nine??? plus the All-England X1 played there in 1868. Of the top of my head I think there was one called twopenny - I'd be cheating with the others though as I know where to find them i.e here:http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive ... 98650.html

carith

Post by carith »

not a bad attempt Twopenny other eight were Redcap, Cuzens, Mullah, Tiger, Lawrence (capt) Peter, Mosquito and Dumas.Next for ten.When was the last game played at Woodhouse hill

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

carith wrote: not a bad attempt Twopenny other eight were Redcap, Cuzens, Mullah, Tiger, Lawrence (capt) Peter, Mosquito and Dumas.Next for ten.When was the last game played at Woodhouse hill 17 th september 1888 Hunslet v Armley!!!!!

carith

Post by carith »

sorry correct year wrong date and opponents