Record Shops - a misspent youth

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

BLAKEY wrote: ZIP55 WROTE :-"You're absolutely right about Rawcliffes being on Duncan St. so the the record shop must have been on Duncan St. directly opposite Rawcliffes. Please someone tell me I'm not senile. It was a small record shop with one or two listening booths. I bought Electric Warrior there in 1971. "No, I'm sure you're not going senile, but none of us can really remember everything can we ??. I don't recall your shop myself, but Ramsdens was a very big shop indeed, and the record department was downstairs.     Let's hope someone can put us out of our suspense eh ??     Was it Vallaces?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

With respect Loiner I don't think so, although let's see what others say. As far as I remember Vallances was on the corner of Market Street (which many confuse with Vicar Lane as it is only a few yards long) opposite the Corn Exchange bus island. Vallances later moved to Headrow House, opposite Lewiss's top corner entrance on the corner of what is now Dortmund Square. Interesting and "niggling" one this is.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

stoptap

Post by stoptap »

Hi PeepsCrash started in Woodhouse in the shop next to the Eldon pub (it is now part of the Eldon pub). I remember buying records there in 87/88.There was also a record shop down the arcade that is now Harvey Nicholls. It was called Black Cat and sold second hand records.There was also Polar Bear on North Lane (Headingley) and later in the Grand Arcade.There were two briefly at Hyde Park corner. Don't know the names but one was there in 1983 (I bought This Is Not A Love Song by PiL from there). It was a few doors down from Belushis pizza place.The other was over the road from the Hyde Park pub. I think it is now a discount grog shop.Andrew.

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

BLAKEY wrote: Yes indeed Tasa, I do remember the Classical Record Shop in the Merrion Centre - that was real service for you. i remember it too. i recall buying my dad a record voucher there, and the amount was hand written in, with fancy copper-plate style writing

stevief

Post by stevief »

BLAKEY wrote: With respect Loiner I don't think so, although let's see what others say. As far as I remember Vallances was on the corner of Market Street (which many confuse with Vicar Lane as it is only a few yards long) opposite the Corn Exchange bus island. Vallances later moved to Headrow House, opposite Lewiss's top corner entrance on the corner of what is now Dortmund Square. Interesting and "niggling" one this is. I can remember Vallances being there BLAKEY.It's actually New Market Street.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Seem to remember one called Mojo's or am I totally wrong?
"always expect the unexpected"

luckyluke

Post by luckyluke »

z

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Virgin shop on Queen Victoria St was great. Singles downstairs and LPs upstairs. I remember going in there once and coming out feeling a little bit funny! I was only 15 but knew it had a "reputation." Scene and Heard was on Kirkgate. Again singles upstairs and down to the basement for the LP's. Scene and Heard also had a branch at Leeds University where new releases were sold first. It was a bit of a trek from town and we looked a bit out of place in school uniform. Vallances was where the exchange place is on "Dortmund Sq." They sold tellys and gramaphone players as well as records. Schofields had some stuff in vinyl too. Boots on Briggate had a massive department got sound track albums there. Something that does come to mind is how much more exciting the 12" Lps were compared to CDs. Gatefold sleeves and inserts. Cover art and tiny writing you would pour over to find hidden meaning. Leeds City library had a wonderful record and tape collection. Easy to get an album out, tape it and then back for more. I think there was a small subscription to join but worth every penny.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Amazing records downstairs dept was my haunt, spent a fortune on Japanese imports down there!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Oh god, yes, smelt of damp. I got Tubeway Army blue vinyl down there, £40, four nights washing up at Ron's Bistro on North Lane, must have been mad. Still got it though.