Corn Exchange

Your favourite days out round Leeds
simonm

Post by simonm »

Real shame that LCC cannot sort out the Kirgate markets as well and make it like it's european counterparts! I don't particulalry think it's a bad thing for the CE, I just hope that rents are not so massive the goods on sale are out of the price range for the "ordinary" folk!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

cnosni wrote: jane666 wrote: a friend told me today he'd heard a rumour that the corn exchange is booting out it's tenants and turning the whole place into an organic food market!! is this true? does anyone know? Looks like its true,its on the front page of the YEP According to this morning's " Yorkshire Post " the company marketing the site to potential retailers say it is to be : " an exciting new destination for premium foods and associated      products "     !!!!The company - Central Retail - say there are a number of vacant lots and this has caused a re-think .
roundhegian

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Well Jane, Like I said, they'll have to get their money back somehow - the writing was certainly on the wall wasn't it?Such a change is not only a lack of loyalty to their existing tennants, but to those who support them by shopping there. I'm affraid I've experienced an indifference towards the populous from them myself.

Sthenno

Post by Sthenno »

Latest news seems to be that this redevelopment is definitely going ahead. While on the surface it doesn't necessarily seem a bad idea, through things friends have mentioned to me I've done some research and the whole situation seems absolutely appalling. It's clear that Zurich plan to turn the Corn Exchange into an upmarket restaurant and deli outlet, effectively restricting access to this beautiful building to the elite few who will be able to afford to dine there. This, accompanied by the proposed gentrification of Kirkgate Market, will in my view be a real blow to the diversity of Leeds city centre. Yes, the Corn Exhange might not be to everyone's taste and many might even dislike the throngs of 'goths' that hang around outside, but who wants a city centre designed purely with the well-paid executive in mind. Leeds City Council obviously does, hence leasing the property to Zurich with no stipulation as to future use. On top of this, stallholders preparing for the Christmas trading period, which makes up a huge chunk of their income, were told only last week that they won't be allowed to trade in the Corn Exchange over December, leaving many in financial crisis. I realise that the financial viability of the building as an 'alternative' shopping centre has rapidly gone downhill, but the general consensus among traders seems to be that this has been largely due to severe mismanagement on behalf of Zurich. Clearly, they had this redevelopment in mind all along when they began renovations - it reminds me of when I was a student at Bretton Hall. Much fuss was made of the new 'theatre' being built while I was there... upon completion, it looked suspiciously like a conference centre... no prizes for guessing what it is now.Apologies for the long post, but this is a situation which has really got me wound up. At 2pm this Saturday (1st December) there will be a protest against this development, and the proposed development of Kirkgate Market into a similar venture, outside the Corn Exchange, and I hope that some of you might consider coming along to show your support.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Sthenno wrote: Latest news seems to be that this redevelopment is definitely going ahead. While on the surface it doesn't necessarily seem a bad idea, through things friends have mentioned to me I've done some research and the whole situation seems absolutely appalling. It's clear that Zurich plan to turn the Corn Exchange into an upmarket restaurant and deli outlet, effectively restricting access to this beautiful building to the elite few who will be able to afford to dine there. This, accompanied by the proposed gentrification of Kirkgate Market, will in my view be a real blow to the diversity of Leeds city centre. Yes, the Corn Exhange might not be to everyone's taste and many might even dislike the throngs of 'goths' that hang around outside, but who wants a city centre designed purely with the well-paid executive in mind. Leeds City Council obviously does, hence leasing the property to Zurich with no stipulation as to future use. On top of this, stallholders preparing for the Christmas trading period, which makes up a huge chunk of their income, were told only last week that they won't be allowed to trade in the Corn Exchange over December, leaving many in financial crisis. I realise that the financial viability of the building as an 'alternative' shopping centre has rapidly gone downhill, but the general consensus among traders seems to be that this has been largely due to severe mismanagement on behalf of Zurich. Clearly, they had this redevelopment in mind all along when they began renovations - it reminds me of when I was a student at Bretton Hall. Much fuss was made of the new 'theatre' being built while I was there... upon completion, it looked suspiciously like a conference centre... no prizes for guessing what it is now.Apologies for the long post, but this is a situation which has really got me wound up. At 2pm this Saturday (1st December) there will be a protest against this development, and the proposed development of Kirkgate Market into a similar venture, outside the Corn Exchange, and I hope that some of you might consider coming along to show your support. What are the proposals for Kirkgate Market,as far as i can tell there has been no mention of exact plans except to rebuild the temporary market that was put in place of the patrt of the market that was burnt down in 75 and to alter the outside market,which lets be fair mainly sells tat these days.If you have some details on the "gentrification" of the market then id like to know as im very interested in its future.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Sthenno

Post by Sthenno »

I guess it depends on how you view development. Yup, I agree it sells 'tat', but, whether we like it or not, a lot of people like cheap tat! There are plenty of other places to purchase expensive goods. Reports on recent rent rises can be found here http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2004/01/284484.htmland reports of proposed new space being used for "shops, homes or offices" are here http://www.leedsliveitloveit.com/Studen ... ault.aspxI realise that all is speculation at this point, but given what is happening to the Corn Exchange, and given the plans to involve a third party developer in plans for the market, these things indicate to me that Kirkgate Market is likely to become yet another city space aimed at a well-off clientele.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

'What are the proposals for Kirkgate Market,as far as i can tell there has been no mention of exact plans except to rebuild the temporary market that was put in place of the patrt of the market that was burnt down in 75 and to alter the outside market,which lets be fair mainly sells tat these days.If you have some details on the "gentrification" of the market then id like to know as im very interested in its future. 'I think you will find that what you see now is in fact the new structure which replaced the 'temporary market' after the fire.True to say though that it does look remarkabely similar doesn't it?The traders who make the market what it is are already under pressure from rent increases and many have had to leave. Further development can only make this worse. The concept of the old market is becoming less viable as land and development values rise - everyone wants to get the best they can for what they have of course, which has to mean higher rents, higher prices and more traditional market traders unable to compete. I'm sure the pressure here will be greter as the Harewood Quarter develops (how many 'quarters' do we have now?) bringing an increasing prestige to the area arround the market.It seems inevitable, sadly, that many of those traditional outlets will be replaced by their rather more up-market equivalents.

Sthenno

Post by Sthenno »

chameleon wrote: I think you will find that what you see now is in fact the new structure which replaced the 'temporary market' after the fire.True to say though that it does look remarkabely similar doesn't it?The traders who make the market what it is are already under pressure from rent increases and many have had to leave. Further development can only make this worse. The concept of the old market is becoming less viable as land and development values rise - everyone wants to get the best they can for what they have of course, which has to mean higher rents, higher prices and more traditional market traders unable to compete. I'm sure the pressure here will be greter as the Harewood Quarter develops (how many 'quarters' do we have now?) bringing an increasing prestige to the area arround the market.It seems inevitable, sadly, that many of those traditional outlets will be replaced by their rather more up-market equivalents. What I was trying to say, but more accurately put! Thank you!I agree that sadly these developments seem inevitable.. but I think there might be a (thin) ray of hope in the fact that Hilary Benn has apparently claimed to support the 'Save the Corn Exchange' petition... a lot of the problems in my view arise from the council leasing these buildings to developers without stipulations regarding their future use. Perhaps if we can't save the Corn Exchange we can bring him to task on the hypocrisy of his support and prevent the same thing happening elsewhere. Optimistic I know, but I'd be depressed if I wasn't...

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Heres one for you.Who is the councils Insurance company???Zurich.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

With regards to the Market i think Reggie Perrin had some good ideas to bring the old building into better use,along the lines of what is being proposed with the Corn exchange.If the market does not evolve it will die.The days of the market being used by what was a once much more substantial city centre population (Quarry Hill,the Bank) and a population living in the suburbs of Leeds having no alternative place to rival the market,have gone.The outside market was magic in my youth,and so was the covered market.Even without rose tinted spectacles it is clear to see that stalls selling good from house clearances,second hand shoes and dodgy batteries and razor blades is nothing more than a car boot sale.The few quality family retailers left are in the minority,the place is dying a slow death.You can balme high rents etc but the truth is that peoples shopping habits have change,we no longer go to town on the 15 bus to get to the Market to get Meat and Veg and evrything elsoe under one roof.We have cars and big shopping centres to do this these days,and quite frankly its a lot more convenient and pleasant than tackling the Carlsberg Special Brew brigade that inhabit the lower end of the "new" market.This is all very sad,but the old days are gone,the current situation is far from satisfactory and as a consequence i rare;y go into the market.What a shame