Roundhay Park Arena

Your favourite days out round Leeds
BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Si wrote: We used to go to Leeds Gala regularly. I was given a silver spoon for winning the Leeds Bonnie Baby competition, circa 1960! A few years later I remember I got to sit in a Cheiftain Tank. The gun sights were aimed at an ice-cream van! They had waterskiing on the lake, with jumps.CheersSi Si - could that have been around 1975?I was living in Huddersfield then and came for a day out with my parents to Roundhay for a massive display of our military in the park - I think it was called Armex 75.All the forces were on display and they were doing all sorts of activitys like zip lines, assault courses, helicoptor rides and you were allowed to clamber all over the tanks, trucks and general equiptment on display.They even had stalls with make up teams putting false scars and bullet wounds on you LOLIt was a massive event with a fleet of buses ferrying people to and from Leeds over the weekend, my two lasting memorys were having a ride in a helicoptor and getting soaked to the skin waiting for a bus back to leeds.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Big N,No, it was much earlier - probably mid to late 60s. If it wasn't a Chieftain it would have been a Centurion. I remember it was a really hot day, too, so no rain!CheersSi

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

I've played cricket on there a good few times, once in a six a side competition, which was the hardest job ever while fielding.....

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

I remember the Gala's there, must have been late 70's early 80's, i remember the motorcycle display team when they crashed, 2 guys going head to head over ramps when their handlebars clipped each other, ended in a mess.I was lucky enough to take part in one of the last ones, I was with the T.A. and we were doing a gun run in the arena, 4 teams racing each other with field gun's, what a laugh. the crowd's wern't as big as i remember them though.It's a shame they don't have them anymore, they were great day's out.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

What about the big concerts held in Roundhay Park in the 80s? Madonna, Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Genesis, Simple Minds to my knowledge - anymore? did U2 play here or Elland Road (or Both??)
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

drapesy wrote: What about the big concerts held in Roundhay Park in the 80s? Madonna, Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Genesis, Simple Minds to my knowledge - anymore? did U2 play here or Elland Road (or Both??) I remember Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA.U2 did 2 at Roundhay- Actung Baby and Zooropa, they did Elland Road aswell, don't know wich album though.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Si wrote: We used to go to Leeds Gala regularly. I was given a silver spoon for winning the Leeds Bonnie Baby competition, circa 1960! A few years later I remember I got to sit in a Cheiftain Tank. The gun sights were aimed at an ice-cream van! They had waterskiing on the lake, with jumps.CheersSi I got a silver spoon in '59! My ma still has it somewhere.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

stodge. wrote: drapesy wrote: What about the big concerts held in Roundhay Park in the 80s? Madonna, Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Genesis, Simple Minds to my knowledge - anymore? did U2 play here or Elland Road (or Both??) I remember Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA.U2 did 2 at Roundhay- Actung Baby and Zooropa, they did Elland Road aswell, don't know wich album though. went to them all...never paid in to any...hey! it's our park,if we don't know how and where to get in,then the security folk sure don't!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

peterg

Post by peterg »

My memories of Roundhay Arena go back to the late 40's when I went now and again to see the Sunday afternoon cricket. One day, when Sussex were playing Yorks at Headingly, John Langridge was on one side and Len Hutton was on the other. Very earlly on, before scoring Langridge snicked the ball towards Hutton who instinctively caught it and then let is drop. Langridge made a decent score. Hutton, I seem to remember, broke his duck but got out quickly because I believe he was at the crease on the close of play on the Saturday and would continue on the Monday.

Si

Post by Si »

Chrism wrote: Si wrote: We used to go to Leeds Gala regularly. I was given a silver spoon for winning the Leeds Bonnie Baby competition, circa 1960! A few years later I remember I got to sit in a Cheiftain Tank. The gun sights were aimed at an ice-cream van! They had waterskiing on the lake, with jumps.CheersSi I got a silver spoon in '59! My ma still has it somewhere. Blimey! Two Leeds Bonnie Babies on Secret Leeds! My Mum had my spoon, too. It became the starting point for a silver spoon collection for her, but the whole lot got nicked in a burglary, about 10 years ago.