If You Go Down To The Tunnels Today...

Your favourite days out round Leeds
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Saw this in the YMP site today.Rather different approach to tunnel explorationhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-18122384

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

According to our comfy BBC presenter, the Dark Arches were"...built in the mid 18th Century..." circa 1760 then.Breaking news indeed..!psGross waste of £500,000    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: psGross waste of £500,000     It doesn't look very good does it?     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo shows a view of part of the Dark Arches where the River Aire runs through. There are some lighting effects here which give a different feel to that area to when there are no lights. Much of the Dark Arches elsewhere had some lighting effects running before the main effects will presumably be seen when the dances and other things are going on for the UnderWorlds & OverWorlds events. I took the photo just before 11:30 a.m. today, which was well before the art events started today.
Attachments
__TFMF_stdojyfos5qwm53jf1jh3n45_e50d1ea8-12cf-443e-8d41-5d1d1817cfd0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_stdojyfos5qwm53jf1jh3n45_e50d1ea8-12cf-443e-8d41-5d1d1817cfd0_0_main.jpg (81.87 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: This photo shows a view of part of the Dark Arches where the River Aire runs through. There are some lighting effects here which give a different feel to that area to when there are no lights. Much of the Dark Arches elsewhere had some lighting effects running before the main effects will presumably be seen when the dances and other things are going on for the UnderWorlds & OverWorlds events. I took the photo just before 11:30 a.m. today, which was well before the art events started today. Those pictures might very well answer your earlier photos of the workmen on barges and scaffold Leodian. You can bet your bottom dollar they were installing these lights and cables.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took some photos today (May 19 2012) of some side vaults at Dark Arches but the lights for the UnderWorlds & OverWorlds event seemed to confuse my digital camera and all but this were much too blurry to keep (even this one is not sharp). I have however posted it to give some idea of the lighting that was on well before today's events began. There will have no doubt been some photogenic views for anyone using a better camera than mine (or at least knows what settings to use on my camera!).PS. Cheers Phill. I suspect you will be right.
Attachments
__TFMF_stdojyfos5qwm53jf1jh3n45_11775e9b-85dc-437f-af9f-28d99a79034d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_stdojyfos5qwm53jf1jh3n45_11775e9b-85dc-437f-af9f-28d99a79034d_0_main.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I've just remembered this story, they are to use barges to ferry materials for the new station entrance also.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-4551363

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I just hope Phill that the wind strength factor in that area is taken into better consideration than it seemed to have been done when Bridgewater was built. One thing for sure also is that the view of the Dark Arches where the River Wharfe emerges will be dramatically changed. Judged by the artist's impression it won't be long before we hear of people falling into the river. Oh, and cleaning the glass (or whatever it will be) could be a nice little earner for a window cleaning firm!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: I just hope Phill that the wind strength factor in that area is taken into better consideration than it seemed to have been done when Bridgewater was built. One thing for sure also is that the view of the Dark Arches where the River Wharfe emerges will be dramatically changed. Judged by the artist's impression it won't be long before we hear of people falling into the river. Oh, and cleaning the glass (or whatever it will be) could be a nice little earner for a window cleaning firm! I find it rather ironic, there have been a few hi-viz jobsworths challenge photographers taking photographs under those arches. It happened to a lady friend of mine, and I've heard a few people say the same. Said jobsworths seem to come from the direction of the car park, and if so they merely rent the space under the arches. Now the arches are open to the public with displays of art, and lights, and photography is 'more than welcome' It's a strange world indeed!         

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Phill. I've never been approached there when taking photographs but I've had suspicious looks from some car park attendants. Perhaps my possibly worse moment for attracting attention when taking photographs was some months back when I was taking photos in King Edward Street area and while adjusting my camera I happened to walk straight into a woman community policeperson. Thankfully she did not seem to mind (my fast apology may have helped!).