Spice up your life

Your favourite days out round Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Having a spare hour in Leeds yesterday, we took in the free Spice Girls exhibition at the City Museum.Well worth a visit if you're in the area, lots of memorabilia to take you back, along with a the history of the group, set out in a way that should appeal across the board.It was funny though seeing mums trying to explain to their kids who the Spice Girls were and why they liked them Let's not forget it's nearly 15 years since they exploded onto the UK music scene.More here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leeds/hi/pe ... 377923.stm
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Don't know if I "wannabe" there !!PC

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Honestly Ravey, I can't think of anything less deserving of an exhibition. Overhyped, insubstantial, manufactured rubbish. Cynical exploitation of a market by a svengali-like manager. Something to celebrate? I don't think so.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The Spice Girls were fun. My favourite was Mel Chisholm (Sporty Spice). I've only seen one of the group in person when by chance I saw Mel Brown (Scary Spice) just a couple or so years back when she arrived at Borders book store on Briggate to do I book launch (I think that was what it was for as I did not go into the store).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

A bit of trivia.Mel B lived in Burley Hill Drive, my cousin lived opposite her at the time she lived there.Now there's a new Leeds all girl group "Ultra Girls" starting to take off. The all Leeds girl group will be the warm up group for Kylie Minogue's British tour. The twist is that my cousin daughter is in the group, so I'm wishing them all the success that comes their way and if they rake in a fraction of the coin and fame the spice girls they will be on a winner.Not that I will be buying any of their musuc etc, but I hope the younger end latch onto to them. Its quite possible the time is right for another girl group ( I read that some where).Also they are all ex Leeds Rhino's cheer girls.Cheers Yorkie
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Honestly Ravey, I can't think of anything less deserving of an exhibition. Overhyped, insubstantial, manufactured rubbish. Cynical exploitation of a market by a svengali-like manager. Something to celebrate? I don't think so. Like them or not, manufactured or not, they were still a phenomenon that cannot go unnoticed as they are a part of our (sub) culture no matter what!

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

LS1 wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: Honestly Ravey, I can't think of anything less deserving of an exhibition. Overhyped, insubstantial, manufactured rubbish. Cynical exploitation of a market by a svengali-like manager. Something to celebrate? I don't think so. Like them or not, manufactured or not, they were still a phenomenon that cannot go unnoticed as they are a part of our (sub) culture no matter what! Well clearly they have not gone unnocticed but we are talking about spending public money on an exhibition in a museum to celebrate their discarded outfits and other memoribilia? It's dissappointing. Phenomenon? There's not even a loose definition of that word that could apply to The Spice Girls. Talentless hags packaged by Simon Fuller to appeal to cocky pre-teens.Whatever happened to real music?The Scouse one can actually sing but has made little of that since they split. One decent effort with Brian Adams is all I can remember.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

jim

Post by jim »

I had a friend once. Spotty, potty, babbly, scathing, and gin-soaked. Obviously should have been a pop-star.

franco

Post by franco »

I remember a few years years ago a documentary about a fanatical Islamic cleric who when shown a picture of the Spice Girls stated that if he were in power they would be "immediately arrested and shot". I don't often agree with that lot however......    

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

This is a joke thread isnt it?
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?