Grumble grumble

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I muddied my Karrimor KSBs recently, but instead of trip round ThruscrossI just walked round Leeds.If this left Achilles allows. [Ed - I have taken out offending non-leeds stuff]

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

For goodness sake, Monday may have been a Bank Holiday but it was also Boxing Day. Let the staff have Christmas off! You'll be wanting them open on Christmas Day soon just in case you feel like a trip out!

tilly

Post by tilly »

When i was a kid Leeds Market used to stay open untill very late on Christmas eve.Thats when you could buy fruit and poultry at a reduced price thats if you had the money our chicken used to come in a tin.Mum used to pay into a club every week so she could put something on the table at Christmas.When i hear some people moan about the cost of liveing now it makes my blood boil they dont know how lucky they are.But then of course the cost of a fourty two inch telly plus surround sound runs into big money and they cant live without that can they.Now you have set me off again Bah Humbug.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

tilly wrote: When i was a kid Leeds Market used to stay open untill very late on Christmas eve.Thats when you could buy fruit and poultry at a reduced price thats if you had the money our chicken used to come in a tin.Mum used to pay into a club every week so she could put something on the table at Christmas.When i hear some people moan about the cost of liveing now it makes my blood boil they dont know how lucky they are.But then of course the cost of a fourty two inch telly plus surround sound runs into big money and they cant live without that can they.Now you have set me off again Bah Humbug.     Whooah there Tilly...........! Steady, leave it.I'm with you there. Who set you off, I was just suggesting 'a pleasant walk' from a 'good book'.Make a pot of Morrisons Red Label (leaf) Tea and chill.    

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Jogon wrote: I muddied my Karrimor KSBs recently, but instead of trip round Thruscross, I did a variation - Rocking Hall from Blubberhouses(David Leather's The Walker's Guide to Mid-wharfedale & Washburn Valley on Walk 9 - 11 miles / 5hours).Going up the outflow of the Dam then up onto the tops and lunch at Rocking Hall. Fine views, binocs only should've had the camera. On the way back found Aked's http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2716770and Harry's Dam http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2716804A longer version (yet to do) involves going over from Rocking Hall and down to Bolton Abbey. Thence via bus, taxi or mates car to Blubberhouses car park.If this left Achilles allows. Funny enough we were up there on Tuesday, it was really water logged with Thruscross over flow in full force, spent 30mins watching a short eared owl hunting then a pint at Hopper Lane.

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

[quotenick="Jogon"] tilly wrote: When i was a kid Leeds Market used to stay open untill very late on Christmas eve.Thats when you could buy fruit and poultry at a reduced price thats if you had the money our chicken used to come in a tin.Mum used to pay into a club every week so she could put something on the table at Christmas.When i hear some people moan about the cost of liveing now it makes my blood boil they dont know how lucky they are.But then of course the cost of a fourty two inch telly plus surround sound runs into big money and they cant live without that can they.Now you have set me off again Bah Humbug.     I had forgotten about chickens in a tin! I think my father bought them very occasionally. I agree about people moaning these days. Looking back I wonder how on earth our parents managed.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

During the late 1940s our Christmas capon arrived Christmas Eve, strapped to dad's handlebars - he'd cycled out to the farm after work to collect it. It then had to be beheaded (it was already dead but intact - apart from the fact it was a capon:-)), plucked, drawn and stuffed, ready for cooking on Christmas Day. As a small child I was fascinated by the process. It ponged a bit as the innards were removed, but it was a good object lesson in the origins of food. Later we kept our own poultry, but for some reason I never learned the gentle art of wringing necks. We had chicken quite regularly, though.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

[quotenick="grumpybloke"] Jogon wrote: tilly wrote: When i was a kid Leeds Market used to stay open untill very late on Christmas eve.Thats when you could buy fruit and poultry at a reduced price thats if you had the money our chicken used to come in a tin.Mum used to pay into a club every week so she could put something on the table at Christmas.When i hear some people moan about the cost of liveing now it makes my blood boil they dont know how lucky they are.But then of course the cost of a fourty two inch telly plus surround sound runs into big money and they cant live without that can they.Now you have set me off again Bah Humbug.     I had forgotten about chickens in a tin! I think my father bought them very occasionally. I agree about people moaning these days. Looking back I wonder how on earth our parents managed. Chickens in a tin were lovely. Lots of gelatine jelly and always very tender meat. Ready to eat cold but also great warmed up. As a kid I always looked forward to the chicken in a tin. Mmmm, yummy.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leeds Chickens in tins deserves it's own thread.I must try one.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Hope it tastes better than it looks
Attachments
__TFMF_epfsikaacdgkamrlrthxu245_1c00ab69-9c5d-47b9-a8bd-cf4f77112919_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_epfsikaacdgkamrlrthxu245_1c00ab69-9c5d-47b9-a8bd-cf4f77112919_0_main.jpg (55.73 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
__TFMF_epfsikaacdgkamrlrthxu245_fba343ac-0417-4a7b-97d9-e33b702ad81b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_epfsikaacdgkamrlrthxu245_fba343ac-0417-4a7b-97d9-e33b702ad81b_0_main.jpg (55.73 KiB) Viewed 2603 times