Not strictly about Leeds (except that Leeds is in West Yorkshire)

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Could anyone tell me why the answer to this query?Out of the 5 local authorities of West Yorkshire it is obvious why two of them are called Leeds and Bradford.However why is Kirklees not called Huddersfield when it is by far its most significant town whilst Wakefield (the city not whole council area) at approximately a third the size of the town of Huddersfield gives its name to the whole council?.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I'm guessing but City status is probably the reason. Also and it dates back to only just after the 1974 reorganisation there was a "commemorative" YEP tea towel "Wakefield and the 5 towns". Whether that connection predates 1974 I guess Trojan is the best placed to know of our regular posters.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

tyke bhoy wrote: I'm guessing but City status is probably the reason. Also and it dates back to only just after the 1974 reorganisation there was a "commemorative" YEP tea towel "Wakefield and the 5 towns". Whether that connection predates 1974 I guess Trojan is the best placed to know of our regular posters. I think you could be right.In the days when the YEP came out in the afternoon and there were several editions of it, one of them was the "5 towns edition".
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: I'm guessing but City status is probably the reason. Also and it dates back to only just after the 1974 reorganisation there was a "commemorative" YEP tea towel "Wakefield and the 5 towns". Whether that connection predates 1974 I guess Trojan is the best placed to know of our regular posters. I think you could be right.In the days when the YEP came out in the afternoon and there were several editions of it, one of them was the "5 towns edition". Two of which are Cas Vegas and Ponte Carlo
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

cnosni wrote: raveydavey wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: I'm guessing but City status is probably the reason. Also and it dates back to only just after the 1974 reorganisation there was a "commemorative" YEP tea towel "Wakefield and the 5 towns". Whether that connection predates 1974 I guess Trojan is the best placed to know of our regular posters. I think you could be right.In the days when the YEP came out in the afternoon and there were several editions of it, one of them was the "5 towns edition". Two of which are Cas Vegas and Ponte Carlo They were indeed - but what are the other three?    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

...and Knottingley, Featherstone and Normanton.

BJF

Post by BJF »

Kirklees was a compromise between Huddersfield and Dewsbury. Neither would accept being named as the other.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BJF wrote: Kirklees was a compromise between Huddersfield and Dewsbury. Neither would accept being named as the other. Yes. Wakefield was a county borough and city plus there was also a Wakefield UDC, including Kirkhamgate, Alverthorpe, Wrenthorpe, Outwood, Stanley and Lofthouse, and possibly Horbury. Cas, Ponte and Ossett were only boroughs. Normanton may also have been part of Wakefield UDC. Hemsworth, Fitzwilliam, South Kirkby and South Elmsall were all part of Hemsworth UDC. Whereas in Kirklees, the two main towns Dewsbury and Huddersfield were both County Boroughs. The question that puzzles me is why Calderdale which is based on Halifax isn't like Wakefield and called Halifax.
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Trojan wrote: The question that puzzles me is why Calderdale which is based on Halifax isn't like Wakefield and called Halifax. Again I would suggest city status. While Sowerby Bridge and Todmorden are hardly in the Halifax league 'fax is only a town. Calderdale is also a bit of a compromise given the dale also passes through Kirklees at Mirfield and then Wakefield at Horbury Bridge before it becomes a flood plain through Horbury, Eastmoor, Stanley and bottomboat before it joins the Aire.    
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is not directly about the names in question but it is related. Airedale, Swaledale, Wharfedale, Nidderdale etc are named after their river so why is Wensleydale named after the village of Wensley? Oh, and does anyone but me ever say Cleckhuddersfax anymore?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.