Harry Ramsdens sold!

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

yorkiesknob wrote: Dalehelms wrote: I used to take my son to "Harry's" in the 70's for his birthday party on 18th December. There used to be presents round the bottom of the Christmas Tree. When the birthday meal was finished, all the party children went to the tree and received presents. My lad loved it. I recently took American guests to eat at "Harry's " in Guiseley. The meal was OKish. When I spoke to the waitress, who'd been there for decades, about the Christmas Tree and presents, she said they'd had to stop the practice as today's kids simply went to the tree and helped themselves!As for good fish and chips.......Springfield Fisheries in Guiseley is grand. You can have a good fish tea eating in, or a take away. The place's claim to fame is that it was started by "Harry's" sister and also that it was run by Harry Corbett's mum and dad.....him of Sooty and Sweep fame. Dalehelms, Harry Corbett use to enjoy the odd pint in the Station Hotel Guiseley. My aunt and uncle owned the Station in the 60/70s.Also use to get visitors from High Royds on time out/ release day.Interesting days to say the least ,but no bother to any one. According to Matthew Corbett on his canal programme, he and thus Harry was related to Harry Ramsden.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Hi Simong,I wasn't thinking of Westfield which is on the A65 at Yeadon. I really did mean Springfield Fisheries which is on Springfield Road in Guiseley, opposite Bolton's the jeweller, up a wee side street on the opposite side of the A65 from Morrison's.

alanlad

Post by alanlad »

Thanks Simonq, Westfields is the restaurant I was thinking of.
Don't count the days; make the days count!

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

I wish I had known Harry Ramsdens had been sold before me and my hubby went in the one in Scarborough. As soon as I went in I thought something had changed. . .the table we sat at was sticky with peeling varnish and it was just generally mucky but still we ordered . . .fish,chips,mushy peas bread and butter .Hubby fish looked like a kiddies one and mine was not that big either.Hubby likes a splash of vinegar but the bottle top was loose and came off all over the place .The chap serving us came over and asked if "everything was ok with your meal". . .I asked him if we had been given kiddies portions. . .he said no. . i will get you another fish.By the time it was cooked we had eaten what we could so i had to wrap the new fish in a napkin and shove them in my bag! I got a free ice cream for complaining though.Never again.I used to love Harry Ramsdens and I think he would turn in his grave at the quality and service today.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

What did you do with the fish in the napkin?

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

anthonydna wrote: What did you do with the fish in the napkin? Gave it the the greedy seagulls .

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

A worthy cause !    

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Bretts..But the cheap fish and chips is now expensive.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Harry Ramsdens has been rubbish for ages! Went to the one in Edinburgh near the station there a little while ago - dont even want to know how old the fish was and the chips were a lump of someething unmentionable. Went to the original in Guisley and it wasnt much better....The one at Oakwood is great though, as is Murgatroyds and of course Bretts. Is it me or are fish and chips gettign worse generally? All soggy and extra greasy?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

For my money the Murgatroyd's Senior Citizen Special is unbeatable even thoguh it recently went up to £8.25. For that you get a spotless clean restaurant with obliging and very tidy staff and :-     Delicious soup (or fruit juice)     Four pieces of bread and butter (brown white or mixed)     Beautiful fish in crisp light batter (or grilled or without batter         if you prefer)     Tasty dry chips (or new potatoes if you prefer)     Garden or mushy peas or baked beans.     Choice of hot puddings with custard or ice cream - or just ice         cream of the highest quality.     Large pot of tea or coffeeI promise I'm not a shareholder, just a very satisfied regular customer.    I've only one complaint about the place (correct spelling, no puns please LOL LOL), considering that a large proportion of patrons are mature and middle aged or upwards, and that is the high volume of totally inappropriate disco music that's sometimes so loud that you can't have a quiet conversation above it. I suppose it would do no harm to complain by letter but it seems churlish to do so when their efforts are so good in every other direction - I get the feeling that the music may be the choice of the young staff perhaps.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.