Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Laz

Post by Laz »

There was a "club" of sorts in the Bier Keller in the 70's - great night but a bit rowdy.Also upstairs downstairs at Armley was ok but more of a pub/club than a true club.By the way the club at Seacroft was simply called the Windmill - same name as the Hotel.

Laz

Post by Laz »

Chrism wrote: geoffb wrote: Chrism wrote: rainone wrote: What was that one just up from Leeds Bridge, bottom of Brigate? And that other one on the first floor of a building on East Parade? Was the one on Brigate called Tramps and the other one was Nouveau, just above Brahms and Liszt? Think the one at the bottom of Briggate was the Pentagon, remember it in the early 70s. Up 2 flights of stairs.how about the Cats Whiskers at Meanwood, always a good rowdy friday night in there, the resident band were the Whales, the dance floor rasied about 2 feet, many, fell off. It probably had a few names I remember it as Tramps, Belindas, The Music Factory and there's probably a couple of others. I rememeber the Cats Whiskers, we used to go to Northern Soul all-nighters and all-dayers there.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

What about Rockys in the Compton Arms?The name was appropriate due to the large numbers of fights - I think they got to Rocky V and beyond most nights.Madisons was the club on the first floor on East Parade and Sunset and Vine was in the basement - the Bank of India was on the ground floor. The whole building has gone now, replaced by more offices. There was a late bar (Len's?) around the corner on York Place(?) we went in too occasionally.The original TC's (Top Cats) was round by the old Registry Office and was rough as a badgers....the "new" TC's was under the Merrion and was only slightly less rough but had it's charms ;-)And "The News" underneath the Queen Hotel with the revolving dancefloor, which became the Bondai Beach Bar (after my time) and is now set to be Leeds biggests gentlemens barNot strictly a night club but Top Banana at the Town and Country were some of the best nights out of my life.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Before Madisons it was called Nouveau and it was owned by the same peeps that owned Brahms and Liszt,which was in the cellar. This was around 1976.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

'Top Banana' was ace!The Windmill - was the club bit called the Mill Bar and Sedans at times?

zip55

Post by zip55 »

geoffb wrote: Chrism wrote: rainone wrote: What was that one just up from Leeds Bridge, bottom of Brigate? And that other one on the first floor of a building on East Parade? Was the one on Brigate called Tramps and the other one was Nouveau, just above Brahms and Liszt? Think the one at the bottom of Briggate was the Pentagon, remember it in the early 70s. Up 2 flights of stairs.how about the Cats Whiskers at Meanwood, always a good rowdy friday night in there, the resident band were the Whales, the dance floor rasied about 2 feet, many, fell off. GEoffB is right, it was definitely the Pentagon at the bottom of Briggate. What was the one in Harehills, hole in wall, special knock to get in?

Krasberry

Post by Krasberry »

As maybe(No offence intended )..possibly one of the younger ones messaging so far i'd like to give a mention to a few recent lost nightclubs,they weren't great by any means but were part of a sometimes good night out in leeds. I remember at 16 entering The planet earth club which became Bondai beach bar and then became closed,with it's rotating dancefloor which was a real nightmare trying to step off and on after a skinfull,there was also Bar europa where you had to tighten your shoelaces before entering for fear of loosing you shoes on the sticky carpet,Heaven and hell where i acquired my first black eye for nudging someone,they really should have just named that place HELL,it would have suited and last and possibly deservedly least Ritzy's in the merrion centre where we would turn up as soon as it opened to buy as many £1 bottles of fosters before 11pm . All these places do probably deserved to have been closed but they all left me with Memories(some great some not so great lol)of my alcohol fuelled teenage years     
Discovering yesteryears treasures,then legging it before security shows up.

HTB

Post by HTB »

In late 80s/early 90s when i was a member of the LUNIS MCC, we always used to go to Scrumpy's, remember that wierd cartoon of a cat that they never painted over every time they did a "refit". We always danced in a big circle, girls on the inside guys on the outside fending off tossers. It closed down for a few months and we all moved to that dodgy church out on Jack lane (what was it called?) for a Great British Night Out, a pint and a fight!Thems were the days.HTB    
Better to BURN OUT than fade away.

HTB

Post by HTB »

I remember there was always a lot of rivalry between the Ritzys crowd and the phono goths, always best to go mob handed if you didn't want a dance with the townies, (and I mean no offence by that term, we are all older and wiser now, it's like Mods and Rockers, we're all bikers and scooterists now and get on just fine.)HTB
Better to BURN OUT than fade away.

skippy

Post by skippy »

hi to all do's anyone remember the windmill night club which was on north street ? it was in the 60's when i used to go tony heath was the little man with the loud voice when you rang the bell to be let in a bouncer would look through a peephole then let you in i saw some great acts there including the dallas boys happy days !!!!
brenda littlejohn