New Roscoe

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Don't worry - The New Roscoe's a nice pub - for locals and anyone else! I once had a couple of pints of tetley's in the (Old) Roscoe on Chapeltown Road- I was young at the time - perhaps should'nt even have been served!, so I reckon it must have closed 1975 or 1976.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

Karaokeloverjen wrote: Hi,My boyf's wanting to go in the New Roscoe, but I wasn't sure if it was a locals only, music stops as you walk in kinda place. Can anyone help?Thanks!Jenny have a wander in at lunchtime today, my mate timbos band "blackout" are playing - they are excellent if you like classic heavy rock.

munki

Post by munki »

Very friendly, very welcoming place for any & all sorts. Go for it!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Get yourself down there on Saturday 31st March, Motus are a band well worth seeing, they play the Roscoe regularly.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

munki wrote: Since the New Roscoe is the closest thing we now have to the very-sadly-missed Duchess of York, then it should be celebrated!Does anyone have any pictures of gigs from the Duchess? I would love to see it again! I have a few pix of when a band called Last Of The Teenage Idols played there, and I have a video of my old band Assassination Bureau there...

munki

Post by munki »

Is it true that Nirvana once played down there at the Duchess? That would have been worth seeing. I seem to have missed more of the legendary gigs there than I care to remember, though. My friends all went to see the Tindersticks at a time when I had wrongly dismissed them as a joke. I don't have many regrets in life, but...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

munki wrote: Is it true that Nirvana once played down there at the Duchess? That would have been worth seeing. Oh aye, it's true. I didn't go, cos I'd heard the album they had out at the time ("Bleach") and thought it was terrible. I still say the Duchess is the best live venue Leeds has ever had. I saw so many great bands there. There was a time in the late 80s when I was doing to the Duchess two or three times a week.

munki

Post by munki »

I kind of dismissed Nirvana at the time as being a bit of a watered down, marketable version of Pixies, with less swearing & references to incest. Being a goth in Leeds in the early nineties was great fun, & I wouldn't go back & change that time for the world, but there was a bit of an inherent 'superiority complex' in being a goth, & I missed out on a hell of a lot of good music because of that, which I am now getting into long after the bands are (in some cases, dead &) gone.The Stone Roses, Nirvana, Blur, the Mondays... When I look at how the section of my record collection by 'The Mission' is I cringe slightly - thirty odd twelve inches & LPs!

munki

Post by munki »

A great adopted son of Leeds!?!
Attachments
__TFMF_ti01lt55aqkqkcbte41yfv45_0b20562c-2675-47d7-bc71-9bb9e8d7985d_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_ti01lt55aqkqkcbte41yfv45_0b20562c-2675-47d7-bc71-9bb9e8d7985d_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 3356 times