The Secret History of St John's, New Briggate.

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
munki

Post by munki »

Dark, & usually disused at night, this is one of the oldest buildings in the City. Equipped only with an audio guide & a torch, you take part in the most bizarre & beautiful heritage tour you will ever experience. But can you trust the guide? And did he warn you about the ghosts?This tour is designed to show you just how much of the bizarre, mythological, frightening, celebratory history of a whole city can be soaked up into the stones of a single beautiful building. Edgar Allen Poe visited here in the 1830s, & the pendulum of the clock is said to have inspired his story, The Pit & The Pendulum. Did you know that the clock is said to slow down, or speed up, depending on the level of the spiritual well-being of the people of the City? So keep an eye on it. If it is running slow, you need to be worried. Find the garish angel that looks over & after your own ward of the city. AUDIENCES ARE ADVISED TO DRESS WARMLY.Hear the story of Big Billy Bradley, a magnificent 7’9” tall, who was employed to put the angels in their place due to his immense height. Hear about his legendary drinking competitions with the murderous George, the Hungarian Clown. Owing to his vast size, Billy normally won with ease, though one night George decided he would garner his revenge & spiked Billy’s drink with a particularly noxious narcotic prepared for him by a fortune teller. Billy fell from the high-wire, which he had climbed wearing only a tutu, & broke his wrist. Billy & George never spoke again. Unfortunately, it would also take Billy more food to satisfy his immense stomach than he could ever afford to buy, & despite the generosity of a butcher from Horsforth, who would supply him with off-cuts of meat that would otherwise of gone to waste, he died, unfulfilled, in his mid-thirties.We know that our Dear Readers of Secret Leeds understand that every brick & stone of the City is soaked with a thousand stories. Smoke&Mirrors, brought to you by Leeds Civic Trust, will prove this to you beyond any reasonable human doubt.Originally created for Light Night 2006, Smoke & Mirrors was a series of performance installations giving an unconventional look at urban Leeds. It was created by Imprint Theatre Company in collaboration with visual artist Heather Jones, sound designer Joff Williams, and film-maker Matt Tullet.Due to popular demand, Smoke & Mirrors is back for more!THURSDAY 25TH – SATURDAY 27TH OCTOBER 2007, 7 – 11.30PM. Turn up at any time. The tour lasts around 25 minutes.The opening of the installation has been made possible with the support of Leeds Civic Trust and arts@leeds. Photo of a ghost on a ghost-tour, by Andy Paraskos.
Attachments
__TFMF_pzt4vl553zdvw0fi1qki5x55_ed39dc76-627b-4f72-910a-1bb006b1775e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pzt4vl553zdvw0fi1qki5x55_ed39dc76-627b-4f72-910a-1bb006b1775e_0_main.jpg (442.65 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

farbank

Post by farbank »

Would that Billy Bradley be the same chap, as is buried in Calverley Churchyard.? He's known , I believe, on his headstone as the Calverley giant. And he was over 7ft. tall.?Maybe some 'digi-whiz' can get a pic of the stone.!

PJ

Post by PJ »

See you there then.

munki

Post by munki »

Just a reminder to you all. This is a free event happening at Saint John's Church over the next three nights, which I really think a lot of our Dear Readers would enjoy... The Secret History of St John's Revealed on a spooky, torch-lit audio tour. But can you trust the guide?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

PJ

Post by PJ »

Looks like me and you munki . . .

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

I'll be there if I can drag the kids along ...

simonm

Post by simonm »

I'm working nights so dissapointedly can't go, but really wanted to..by the way, you guys who actually work for LCC, gis a job.. Lose mine on sunday night contract ends. Mind you, on the plus side, it gets me out of sheffield!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

PJ

Post by PJ »

Top night munki, took dad and the kids. V impressed. Well done thanks to all.

munki

Post by munki »

Glad you enjoyed it! I'll pass your thanks on to Imprint Theatre Co.Simonm - I may talk to Imprint about releasing a 'soundtrack' once they have completed this run... It wouldn't be the full experience, but it is full of great stories about Leeds.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Great Munki, look forrad to it, should you get it off the ground!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"