lost bars of leeds city centre

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

tyke bhoy wrote: In a word No.The Bond was downstairs off Bond Street....... Not based on any inside knowledge - in fact I never went in - but wasn't the Bond on the eastern side of Albion Street, roughly halfway between Commercial Street and Boar Lane?

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

It was on Albion St, next to CEX (That awful gadget shop!) there is an ATM. That was the doorway to the stairs down to The Bond.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

s'n'p and AnthonyDNA are of course correct. It is/was Albion Street
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Tyke Bhoy,perhaps you were thinking of The Bank on Bond Street?I think that was the first 'wine bar' to open in Leeds.My mate's sister got a job there in the early 1980s and we used to go in on a lunchtime after weight-training in a tiny gym owned by Leeds Uni somewhere near Clarendon Road (Cromer Terrace rings a bell - I'm sure the gym was actually in a terraced house).We had no money, being unemployed at the time, as most young people seemed to be back then, but we used to get free food and drinks sneaked over the bar to us.    
The older I get, the better I was.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

The Bank was on the corner of Park Row and South Parade.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

anthonydna wrote: The Bank was on the corner of Park Row and South Parade. http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Yep! That's the one. I remember chaining the bike to those railings.
The older I get, the better I was.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Bruno wrote: Yep! That's the one. I remember chaining the bike to those railings. Hi Bruno,             around that time.....The Bank was a very happening place and one of our favourite haunts(pardon the pun).....just the right time for us,age,newness etc etc and we could be found in most weekends.Even sunday night was busy back then !The people you mentioned will have no doubt served me at some time.There used to be a gorgeous girl behind the bar there I was always chatting to.She was called Tamsin and her birthday was 7th September......don't know why I always remembered that but i did.Town was fun back then.....certainly more affordable as we could go out most nights and still pay rent/bills/run a car etc etc    
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Scary Crumble

Re:

Post by Scary Crumble »

David Raven wrote:Anyone remember a bar called 'Cullens' (sp?), on one of the streets off City square? It was one of those bars where you had to descend steps to get into a dodgy-looking (from the outside) basement. They had a loose dress code, I never saw any trouble, and it was such a friendly bar. Imagine if 'Cheers!' had been filmed in Leeds in 1987; that's what it was like! Loved it. Cheers!Dave
Googled ‘Cullen’s wine bar’ and your thread popped up! (No idea why I googled it :/) I probably served you! It was my Mums pub and it was like Cheers, loved the place!

Scary Crumble

Re: Cullens

Post by Scary Crumble »

David Raven wrote:Anyone remember a bar called 'Cullens' (sp?), on one of the streets off City square? It was one of those bars where you had to descend steps to get into a dodgy-looking (from the outside) basement. They had a loose dress code, I never saw any trouble, and it was such a friendly bar. Imagine if 'Cheers!' had been filmed in Leeds in 1987; that's what it was like! Loved it. Cheers!Dave
Googled ‘Cullen’s wine bar’ and your thread popped up! (No idea why I googled it :/) I probably served you! It was my Mums pub and it was like Cheers, loved the place!