THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 1)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

TV's that you rented from RedArrow/Granada/Radio Rentals/Greensides . The TV man would come out to our house every couple of weeks and fix it because it would blow up. I dont think anyone owned a TV in the 70's unless you had a few quid. We certainly didn't !

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

people who smoked who had brown fingers
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

miggyexile

Post by miggyexile »

Co-op stampsWright's Coal Tar Soap (a name just brimming with hygiene)Egg shampoo (c'mon!!)Amazin Raisin, Bar Six and Mint Cracknel chocolate (although my diabetes is a permanent reminder)Cigarette coupons (smoke more and buy stuff!)Tetley Bittermen ("you can't beat them - so join them!)Watneys Red Barrel (always remember my dad complaining that he'd had 10 pints of the stuff and could still walk home)

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Hair cut by yer Mam or Gran

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

signs on buses saying 'no spitting'
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Daisy chains, daisies on lawns, knee length white/grubby grey socks, a different pattern on every item in the living room, bin yards that neighbours took it in turn to clean

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

Houses with parlours,Public loos,Coloured bus tickets,Public clocks - I was not allowed a watch as a kid so I had to make do with knowing everywhere around where I could see a clock.Loafer shoesSide loading bin wagons - with the sliding panels.Davenport beer wagonHundredweight sacks of stuff, from coal to plaster to spuds etc.Stylo plastic sandals

stevief

Post by stevief »

Bus conductors,street sign painters,foot scrapers,being chucked out of the pub at 3.30 in the afternoon(because it was closed!),bookies who wrote your bet out in a huge ledger and tore off a tiny slip for your safe keeping,single glazed wooden window frames,new cars with 'Running in Please Pass'on the back,being caned at school(!!),being slapped at school,addressing teachers as 'Sir' or 'Miss'.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: wiggy wrote: that purple stuff that the nit nurse put on everything from coldsores to shoe blisters. Gentian violet. A favourite treatment for impetigo.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

Danny Freeman collecting money for charity outside Marks & Spencers