Family History in Leeds

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Jen wrote: cnosni wrote: Have had a good look in the census,nothing about George in the UK census after 1871.Can you tell us what you do (or not)know ,and perhaps we may well be able to help a little better. Thanks cnosni.I have him in census up until 1871 census. Father: George Beet Mother: Elizabeth Holmes.Can't find a Birth for him although found lots of siblings.On his marriage cert. in 1881 in Aus he says he was born 1853 - this fits with various census .Tickhill comes up a lot in certificates.I think this is why I'm so hooked on him as he is hard to track.Cheers,Jen George's birth was registered at Doncaster in 1853Quarter Jan- Mar 1853 Vol 9c page 385You can order the certificate online from G.R.O websitehttp://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.aspYou will need to register and give the above birth registration details to order the certificate.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Jen

Post by Jen »

cnosni wrote: Jen wrote: cnosni wrote: Have had a good look in the census,nothing about George in the UK census after 1871.Can you tell us what you do (or not)know ,and perhaps we may well be able to help a little better. Thanks cnosni.I have him in census up until 1871 census. Father: George Beet Mother: Elizabeth Holmes.Can't find a Birth for him although found lots of siblings.On his marriage cert. in 1881 in Aus he says he was born 1853 - this fits with various census .Tickhill comes up a lot in certificates.I think this is why I'm so hooked on him as he is hard to track.Cheers,Jen George's birth was registered at Doncaster in 1853Quarter Jan- Mar 1853 Vol 9c page 385You can order the certificate online from G.R.O websitehttp://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.aspYou will need to register and give the above birth registration details to order the certificate. Thanks so much cnosni. I have done all you suggested and now waiting impatiently for the post - It could be a long week.Cheers,Jen

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Jen wrote: cnosni wrote: Jen wrote: cnosni wrote: Have had a good look in the census,nothing about George in the UK census after 1871.Can you tell us what you do (or not)know ,and perhaps we may well be able to help a little better. Thanks cnosni.I have him in census up until 1871 census. Father: George Beet Mother: Elizabeth Holmes.Can't find a Birth for him although found lots of siblings.On his marriage cert. in 1881 in Aus he says he was born 1853 - this fits with various census .Tickhill comes up a lot in certificates.I think this is why I'm so hooked on him as he is hard to track.Cheers,Jen George's birth was registered at Doncaster in 1853Quarter Jan- Mar 1853 Vol 9c page 385You can order the certificate online from G.R.O websitehttp://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.aspYou will need to register and give the above birth registration details to order the certificate. Thanks so much cnosni. I have done all you suggested and now waiting impatiently for the post - It could be a long week.Cheers,Jen Pleasure Jen.Are you stuck before this time? (1853)
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Jen

Post by Jen »

cnosni wrote: Jen wrote: cnosni wrote: Jen wrote: cnosni wrote: Have had a good look in the census,nothing about George in the UK census after 1871.Can you tell us what you do (or not)know ,and perhaps we may well be able to help a little better. Thanks cnosni.I have him in census up until 1871 census. Father: George Beet Mother: Elizabeth Holmes.Can't find a Birth for him although found lots of siblings.On his marriage cert. in 1881 in Aus he says he was born 1853 - this fits with various census .Tickhill comes up a lot in certificates.I think this is why I'm so hooked on him as he is hard to track.Cheers,Jen George's birth was registered at Doncaster in 1853Quarter Jan- Mar 1853 Vol 9c page 385You can order the certificate online from G.R.O websitehttp://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.aspYou will need to register and give the above birth registration details to order the certificate. Thanks so much cnosni. I have done all you suggested and now waiting impatiently for the post - It could be a long week.Cheers,Jen Pleasure Jen.Are you stuck before this time? (1853) I was going to wait until the birth certificate arrived to follow up on his Parents, but one thing I can't find is how and when George came to Australia. I have him in the 1871 census, George is living in Leeds,Hunslet YKSwith his married sister at 20 Derby Crescent Next he is marrying in Melbourne in 1881. Maybe he went to Canada/America or New Zealand first, even so I have now arrival here.Cheers,Jen

Jen

Post by Jen »

Hi cnosni,I have discovered these 2 gr sons living with George and Elizabeth Beat (Beet) in 1881.Do you have any idea who their parents are? I'm thinking maybe Son George who left them behind to come to Australia and remarry - Just assumptions.Jasper W. ? BEAT             7        M     Leeds, York, England     Rel:     Gd Son     Occ:     ScholarHerbert BEAT             4        M     Tickhill, York, England     Rel:     Gd Son     Occ:     ScholarHope someone can help.Cheer,Jen

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Jen wrote: Hi cnosni,I have discovered these 2 gr sons living with George and Elizabeth Beat (Beet) in 1881.Do you have any idea who their parents are? I'm thinking maybe Son George who left them behind to come to Australia and remarry - Just assumptions.Jasper W. ? BEAT             7        M     Leeds, York, England     Rel:     Gd Son     Occ:     ScholarHerbert BEAT             4        M     Tickhill, York, England     Rel:     Gd Son     Occ:     ScholarHope someone can help.Cheer,Jen I think these are the births you are looking forJohn William Beet1874 Jan - MarchLeeds Vol 9b Page 431Herbert Beet1877 Jan - MarchDoncaster Vol 9c Page 719There is a marriage for a George Beet where he married either Emma Clay or Johanna KingJan - March 1874Leeds Vol 9b Page 710You will have to send for the certificates and this will clarify the parents on the birth certificates and who George Beet married plus it will give you his fathers name and his occupation on the wedding certificate.There are many marriages on Ancestry where you can access the wedding certificate but I could not find one for George.

Jen

Post by Jen »

uncle mick wrote: Jen wrote: Hi cnosni,I have discovered these 2 gr sons living with George and Elizabeth Beat (Beet) in 1881.Do you have any idea who their parents are? I'm thinking maybe Son George who left them behind to come to Australia and remarry - Just assumptions.Jasper W. ? BEAT             7        M     Leeds, York, England     Rel:     Gd Son     Occ:     ScholarHerbert BEAT             4        M     Tickhill, York, England     Rel:     Gd Son     Occ:     ScholarHope someone can help.Cheer,Jen I think these are the births you are looking forJohn William Beet1874 Jan - MarchLeeds Vol 9b Page 431Herbert Beet1877 Jan - MarchDoncaster Vol 9c Page 719There is a marriage for a George Beet where he married either Emma Clay or Johanna KingJan - March 1874Leeds Vol 9b Page 710You will have to send for the certificates and this will clarify the parents on the birth certificates and who George Beet married plus it will give you his fathers name and his occupation on the wedding certificate.There are many marriages on Ancestry where you can access the wedding certificate but I could not find one for George. Thanks Uncle Mick,I think my George may have been a bit of a devil!Cheers,Jen

Murn

Post by Murn »

Hello. My name is Murn. I live in Scotland and know that my Grandfather was born at 11 Danby Court, Leeds. UD on 11th June 1905. He was baptised at St Anne's Cathedral on the 15th June1905. The birth certificate wasn't registered until August and his mother's name had changed from Gleeson to Cronley so it appears they married after his birth. I believe the UD stands for Urban District but am not sure so if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it! Would be grateful if anyone knows if the Danby (or Denby) Court address was a hospital or home for unwed mothers or indeed a private dwelling. Cannot figure out what happened as he was adopted in Glasgow by the Smith family but broke off contact with them after he found out he was adopted and he died in 1956 so no one here to ask if it was a legitimate adoption or not. Just sooooo confused as to which way to go now. Anyhoo, rambled enough but would appreciate any info anyone can give. Cheers.

liits

Post by liits »

Murn, here is a shot of the 1905 Directory of Leeds showing the homes and institutions.Click on the red X to show the photo. Denby / Danby court isn't in there and having had a quick look elsewhere, it does't turn up as a street in Leeds.Is your grandfather Patrick Cronley?
Attachments
__TFMF_gfawywuxl0nw3vu35oqyswbf_ebb26372-af15-4ef8-ad5f-ec589e5aa322_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gfawywuxl0nw3vu35oqyswbf_ebb26372-af15-4ef8-ad5f-ec589e5aa322_0_main.jpg (403.56 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Murn wrote: Hello. My name is Murn. I live in Scotland and know that my Grandfather was born at 11 Danby Court, Leeds. UD on 11th June 1905. He was baptised at St Anne's Cathedral on the 15th June1905. The birth certificate wasn't registered until August and his mother's name had changed from Gleeson to Cronley so it appears they married after his birth. I believe the UD stands for Urban District but am not sure so if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it! Would be grateful if anyone knows if the Danby (or Denby) Court address was a hospital or home for unwed mothers or indeed a private dwelling. Cannot figure out what happened as he was adopted in Glasgow by the Smith family but broke off contact with them after he found out he was adopted and he died in 1956 so no one here to ask if it was a legitimate adoption or not. Just sooooo confused as to which way to go now. Anyhoo, rambled enough but would appreciate any info anyone can give. Cheers. Hello MurnArent you glad you came to Secret Leeds?Other forums pretend,whereas we have the top lads and lasses.