Marshall - Hitchen - Stoodley - Fenton

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Dean from Leeds

Marshall - Hitchen - Stoodley - Fenton

Post by Dean from Leeds »

Hello,
I am currently researching my family history and would like to hear from anyone who can shed more light on the families mentioned.

So far I understand that,
Marshall and Hitchen lived in the Bridgewaters, near the bridge on South Accommodation Road, they married and moved to Middleton.

Stoodley (also found on ancestry as Studley) - Fenton lived in Holbeck, they married and moved to Belle Isle.

My Great Uncle George Henry Hitchen served in the Prince of Wales' Own West Yorkshire Regiment, The Leeds Pals, he was reported "Missing Presumed Dead" on 1st July 1916. I am looking for his name on a war memorial in Leeds. He was married at St Judes Church Hunslet so I assume he would have been on a memorial at this church, unfortunately it was demolished in the 1950's so any help tracing the whereabouts of the memorial would be great.

I can of course provide further information on all the families / names above but do not want to put on too much information at this stage.

Many thanks Dean

buffaloskinner

Re: Marshall - Hitchen - Stoodley - Fenton

Post by buffaloskinner »

Parish Records are held here for St Judes http://www.elhas.org.uk/parish.htm there is a charge for this information however.

War memorials for the City and Hunslet are here
War Memorial Locations

1. Leeds Art Gallery The Headrow
2. Wakefield Road / Thwaite Gate junction Stourton
3. St Mary’s Church, Church Street Hunslet
4. St Peters Court, Dewsbury Road Beeston
5. Beeston Cemetery Beeston Road
6. Leeds Minster, St Peters House Kirkgate
7. Nuclear Memorial, Leeds Minster, St Peters House Kirkgate

I have searched the memorials on Yorkshire Indexers site but have found no reference to George Henry Hitchen

There is a memorial for George Hitchen the THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, see here on Commonwealth War Graves website
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... GE%20HENRY
I have attached the certificate from CWGC

Good luck in your search
GH HItchen.jpg
GH HItchen.jpg (104.07 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Dean from Leeds

Many thanks for the information, it is appreciated.

Regards Dean

Dean from Leeds

Buffaloskinner, thanks for the information that you provided, I forgot to mention that I contacted elhas and they informed me that they have no information on the war memorial for St Judes church. I was informed by word of mouth that the memorial and or tablet was moved to St Mary's church at Hunslet. I have been to look and have found a memorial to the side of the church (balm road side) which look as though it has been re-located but cannot see George Henry' Hitchens name on it. So I am unsure as to this being from St Judes or whether the family could not afford to have his name put on.

Once again thanks for your help.

The search goes on!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Hi Dean here is another snippet on the National Roll. I assume you will have seen it.

:arrow:
Attachments
National Roll for G H Hitchen.jpg
National Roll for G H Hitchen.jpg (83.29 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
National Roll for GH Hitchen.jpg
National Roll for GH Hitchen.jpg (908.68 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?