John Mayhall

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Romany Rose

Post by Romany Rose »

HelloI am the 3x gt niece of John Mayhall born 16/10/1830 he married Elizabeth Johnson @ St Peters Leeds 19/5/1856,he died at his home Rose Villa,Scotland Lane,Horsforth, 7/6/1886.John was famous for writing several books ,the most noted one being The Annals of Yorkshireaccording to his obit in the Leeds MercuryJohn was employed has a lad at Messrs Marshalls,flaxmill at Holbeck ,then at William Ovens cloth finishing mill at Bean-ing Wellington Street.At 16 he worked for Mr T W Smith ,solicitor of Bank St Leeds,at the age of 23 he obtained work has a junior clerk at the Leeds County Court,3 years later he was promoted to chief cashier and chief clerk,in 1865 he accepted the post of High Bailiff/Sherrif of the court,and held this position until his death.In 1870 he was elected a fellow of the Royal Historical Society in 1870was also involved with the Leeds Infirmary,and the Mechanics Instituteand for 19 years was a member of the board of directors of the Leeds Permanant Building SocietyHe is buried in Lawnwood Cemetery*******************Please,please may I have some help in locating a picture of him??
wwttx1

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

What a great ancester to have!I have used his annals of Yorkshire many times and recommended them.I will see if I can locate a picture.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

As John Mayhall had been a Director of the Leeds Permanent it is always possible that there may be corporate potraits of him (photos, sketches or even a painting?) therefore it could be worth contacting the archives of of Lloyds Banking GroupSee http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/about ... s.aspMight be worth contacting the curators of Leeds Museums & Galleries too

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

R.R. have you tried Googling "John Mayhall of Leeds"? I just did and it came up with some interesting results. It may be worth a try.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Romany Rose

Post by Romany Rose »

Hello To everyone,thank you for your offers of help and the suggetions toI have contacted Leeds c/council who have informed me that it may be possible that they do have a portrait of John-but that it would be impossible to know for sure has when the portraits were removed for building repairs many lost their name platesRomany Rose
wwttx1

Romany Rose

Post by Romany Rose »

message for JohnnyThanks for the tipwith regards to Googling him Through this method over the years I have collected some wonderful items about him and have also found the google newspaper archives(free) and when looking up John in The Leeds Mercury -found 1 of an attempt to `blow him up in court¬Romany Rosex
wwttx1