Birds Family History

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
The Birds

Post by The Birds »

A great big thank you to Cardiarms for posting the photo of John and Hannah Bird's gravestone in St Marks, Woodhouse. Until then I had no idea that my 4x great grandparents would have had a headstone. The Birds were very colourful characters and I'm doing my best to find out more about them. I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me how to find out if John Bird had navy and army careers as he advertised. He was born in 1782 and married in 1817 so I think the early 1800's would be the right period. I've not been able to find a birth/baptism for him, but believe he married in 1817 at Kendal, then lived at Lancaster before they came to Leeds.Also I'd be so pleased if anyone has any drawings etc. of Harper Street during the 1800's, where they had their druggist shop and were bone-setters amongst other things!
:):(

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

The Birds wrote: A great big thank you to Cardiarms for posting the photo of John and Hannah Bird's gravestone in St Marks, Woodhouse. Until then I had no idea that my 4x great grandparents would have had a headstone. The Birds were very colourful characters and I'm doing my best to find out more about them. I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me how to find out if John Bird had navy and army careers as he advertised. He was born in 1782 and married in 1817 so I think the early 1800's would be the right period. I've not been able to find a birth/baptism for him, but believe he married in 1817 at Kendal, then lived at Lancaster before they came to Leeds.Also I'd be so pleased if anyone has any drawings etc. of Harper Street during the 1800's, where they had their druggist shop and were bone-setters amongst other things! Hello The Birds.What is the evidence that John Bird had both an army and navy career?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

The Birds

Post by The Birds »

Hi cnosniHe states that he has practiced as a surgeon in both the army and navy in his advert as Dr Bird bone setter, published in the Northern Star and Leeds Gen Advertiser on 10/3/1838 issue 17. This is all the info I have - but it may not be true as he is a big fibber!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The Birds wrote: Hi cnosniHe states that he has practiced as a surgeon in both the army and navy in his advert as Dr Bird bone setter, published in the Northern Star and Leeds Gen Advertiser on 10/3/1838 issue 17. This is all the info I have - but it may not be true as he is a big fibber! I can't find the advert you mentioned but this is from the same paper dated Feb 9th 1839. I like the footnote at the bottom "Horses and dogs cured" and at top of the page "performing daily at his surgery" he must have been some man

Si

Post by Si »

Interesting how Dr Bird's patients almost all use the same phrases......

The Birds

Post by The Birds »

Hey up Si - hope you're not insinuating anything here - just because he was publicly flogged for being a quack - anyone can make a mistake with the heart of a black hen without a white feather ...

The Birds

Post by The Birds »

Hi uncle mick - thanks for another advert now makes 4 all similar - I collect them along with stamps (kidding). I have tried to trace these people who have had these miraculous cures but they seem not to exist - strange? I will post my ad with John's ref to army and navy when hubby shows me how. I'm not too clever with screen things - just occasionally grate a bit of cheese for the mouse. One day I'll even have a smiley face!    

Si

Post by Si »

The Birds wrote: Hey up Si - hope you're not insinuating anything here - just because he was publicly flogged for being a quack - anyone can make a mistake with the heart of a black hen without a white feather ...

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I assume "Horses and dogs Cured" does not mean they were cooked!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

The Birds

Post by The Birds »

Can someone please tell me how I post a newspaper cutting. I have asked SL but my emails have been sent back undelivered.Thank you.