Frank Wedgwood..I need your help cnosni, PLEEEASE!!!

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

CaronThere's a book just published you might like. Just pubished so dunno if you get a mention This link takes you to it on Amazon & there's a customer reviewhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Potters-Hand-N-Wilson/ ... PRECISBook DescriptionPublication Date: 1 Sep 2012 In 1774, Josiah Wedgwood, master craftsman possessed with a burning scientific vision, embarks upon the thousand piece Frog Service for Catherine the Great. Josiah's nephew Tom journeys to America to buy clay from the Cherokee for this exquisite china. Tom is caught up in the American rebellion, and falls for a Cherokee woman who will come to play a crucial role in Josiah's late, great creation: the Portland Vase. As the family fortune is made, and Josiah's entrepreneurial brilliance creates an empire that will endure for generations, it is his daughter Sukey, future mother of Charles Darwin, who bears clear-eyed witness. A novel of epic scope, rich in warmth, intellect and humanity, The Potter's Hand explores the lives and loves of one of Britain's greatest families, whose travails are both ordinary - births, deaths, marriages, opium addiction, depression - and utterly extraordinary.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Hi Jogon. I've just ordered myself a copy Must say, when Liits took it upon himself to help me with my FH I don't think he realised how involved my lot were, nor did I!! He is still working on my family atm and feel he will be for a long time.The Wedgwoods/Darwins...well, talk about "I'm not worthy".. There are also links to the Swan family, (synonymous with Swan-Hunter). The Keynes family, (John-the Economist, Geoffrey-a Surgeon,Quentin-the Explorer)...Someone on my father's side took off for America and (by marriage) there is a link to Laura Ingles-Wilder, author of Little House on the Prairie books. The list goes on and on.Liits is now busy with my French ancestors and once again I am shocked. My mother often mentioned "a big house" in the family from the past but failed to add it was The Chateau De La Mare in Calvados. As you can guess, a great many titled folk there. And.....after trawling through more French ancestors I found Louis XIV King of France.......I have to pinch myself everyday. I can't believe any of my past, it's just too much to take in. I have to say that without Liits NONE of this FH would have come to light. The guy's a GENIUS!!!!!Thanks Jogon for your message.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Not to mention Ralph Vaughan Williams..["He was also related to the Darwins, Charles Darwin being a great-uncle"]http://youtu.be/ZR2JlDnT2l8    

Caron

Post by Caron »

Jogon. If I had the money I'd employ a team of researchers. I don't think I'll ever be able to research every single family member.The biggest shame of all though is the death of my mother and sister last year. I'd have loved to have shared the find with them.In the meantime, I'm asking Liits to locate the Family Fortune.How can I have such a rich past yet be so poor....    

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Impressive stuff. What software do you use for the family tree? I've got a big sprawling diagram done in Visio but there must be a better way. Most of the family come from the East Riding, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Germany and had fairly low level jobs so I don't think I'm related to anyone rich or famous.

Caron

Post by Caron »

mhoulden wrote: Impressive stuff. What software do you use for the family tree? I've got a big sprawling diagram done in Visio but there must be a better way. Most of the family come from the East Riding, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Germany and had fairly low level jobs so I don't think I'm related to anyone rich or famous. Hi mhoulden. I'll ask Liits as he does all the clever stuff. Will get back to you asap.

liits

Post by liits »

mhoulden wrote: Impressive stuff. What software do you use for the family tree? I've got a big sprawling diagram done in Visio but there must be a better way. Most of the family come from the East Riding, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Germany and had fairly low level jobs so I don't think I'm related to anyone rich or famous. Its all done in Photshop. I've tried using the Tree Builder type rubbish that comes with various family history sites and they don't do what they say on the tin. If you use Photoshop. You at least get to decide who goes where and in what style / format, what other bits do / do not appear etc, etc.    

Si

Post by Si »

liits wrote: mhoulden wrote: Impressive stuff. What software do you use for the family tree? I've got a big sprawling diagram done in Visio but there must be a better way. Most of the family come from the East Riding, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Germany and had fairly low level jobs so I don't think I'm related to anyone rich or famous. Its all done in Photshop. I've tried using the Tree Builder type rubbish that comes with various family history sites and they don't do what they say on the tin. If you use Photoshop. You at least get to decide who goes where and in what style / format, what other bits do / do not appear etc, etc.     Yes, I printed the family tree that I'd built on Genesreunited onto A4 sheets. When I stuck it all together, it filled an eight foot by fifteen foot wall.

HelenG

Post by HelenG »

Mines on a roll of wallpaper!

Caron

Post by Caron »

Si and HelenG, your comments made me laugh