Timber yard in Armley Road

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

jim wrote: Right spot Chrism, I seem to remember a yard at the back and to the side of this site that was a separate business. I went to school at Castleton (65-69) and am quite sure I remember a timber yard there. But it was a long time ago and I was only a kid.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

weenie

Post by weenie »

Thanks guys, i have passed on the info , and i have also got a reply from Thirkers, who has passed on to a friend that may know them thanks again its very much appriciated Weenie

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

weenie wrote: Hi all, a friend of mine down south is asking if i knew of a wood yard on Armley Road , around 1964 give or take a few years, her grandfathers name was Harold Howarth and was in partnership with someone, but they know little else, and no they are not the Howarth Timber company, these were from Lancashire wheras her Howarths are from Liversedge. Just wondered if anyone remembers a Wood yard down that area, and what it was called, they also mentioned that he was involved in an accident and probably lost his license. much help is appriciated Weenie As a resident of the area you mention,Armley nr Wilby's. From 1942 to 1966 I can vaguely remember a woodyard being in the area from Crown House down towards the lower end of Armley Rd.Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company.Sorry. 'arry 'awk would probably remember it as he lived in that part of Armley Rd.
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

weenie wrote: Hi all, a friend of mine down south is asking if i knew of a wood yard on Armley Road , around 1964 give or take a few years, her grandfathers name was Harold Howarth and was in partnership with someone, but they know little else, and no they are not the Howarth Timber company, these were from Lancashire wheras her Howarths are from Liversedge. Just wondered if anyone remembers a Wood yard down that area, and what it was called, they also mentioned that he was involved in an accident and probably lost his license. much help is appriciated Weenie Hi Weenie,                One day later and I think I've remembered the name of the woodyard on Armley Rd! It was Hardwicks(I strongly think)
ex-Armley lad

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

I do have access to old telephone directories and when you look for Wilbys of Armley Road, it not only says they did monuments, which were of course marble headstones. It also states they were builders.So did the wood belong to Wilbys?
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Stutterdog,I can remember Hardwick's. The firm was called F. Hardwick Ltd., Brunel Buildings, Armley Road, Leeds 12. They were, in fact, Demolition Contractors. I don't know who owned the firm originally (Mr Hardwick) but in the 1960's, and onwards, the firm was owned by Reginald Hargreaves and it was later passed on to his son David Hargreaves.If I remember correctly, I think that Hardwicks got the contract for the demolition of Quarry Hill Flats. I knew Reg and David Hargreaves as I played rugby with David at Moortown RUFC from 1961 until 1977. Sadly, David died, in the stand, whilst watching Leeds RLFC, at Headingley, about twelve years ago.In those early days, many of the Leeds rugby union teams used to meet up in the Oak at Headingley and Susan Hardwick was one of the gang as she was the friend of a friend who went to school with her at Shire Oak School.In the yard at Brunel Buildings, there was were a few small units occupied by self employed traders and craftsmen. I seem to remember some large metal gates at the end of the yard and everyone frequented the Albion.Ian    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

ArmleyLass47 wrote: I do have access to old telephone directories and when you look for Wilbys of Armley Road, it not only says they did monuments, which were of course marble headstones. It also states they were builders.So did the wood belong to Wilbys? Hello Armley Lass, Your beginning to make me have doubts about Wilby's and Hardwicks.You and Iansmithofotley Have curtainly get me thinking because I can see in my minds eye long lengths of timber propped up against a building just along from Wilby's Showroom,and I'm thinking could this be the woodyard that Weenie is on about?It's so long ago now.I still think 'arry 'awk will be your man for this.
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Stutterdog,I can remember Hardwick's. The firm was called F. Hardwick Ltd., Brunel Buildings, Armley Road, Leeds 12. They were, in fact, Demolition Contractors. I don't know who owned the firm originally (Mr Hardwick) but in the 1960's, and onwards, the firm was owned by Reginald Hargreaves and it was later passed on to his son David Hargreaves.If I remember correctly, I think that Hardwicks got the contract for the demolition of Quarry Hill Flats. I knew Reg and David Hargreaves as I played rugby with David at Moortown RUFC from 1961 until 1977. Sadly, David died, in the stand, whilst watching Leeds RLFC, at Headingley, about twelve years ago.In those early days, many of the Leeds rugby union teams used to meet up in the Oak at Headingley and Susan Hardwick was one of the gang as she was the friend of a friend who went to school with her at Shire Oak School.In the yard at Brunel Buildings, there was were a few small units occupied by self employed traders and craftsmen. I seem to remember some large metal gates at the end of the yard and everyone frequented the Albion.Ian     Thanks Ian,you have me in a quandry with this one as I said in my reply to Armley Lass.
ex-Armley lad

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Stutterdog,There is a link on Leodis which mention Hardwick's:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLI can remember that Hardwick's did sell some items from their demolition jobs, including railway sleepers, but I don't think that they sold anything that was new.Apart from knowing the Hargreaves's, as mentioned previously, when I left school I worked for a firm of chartered accountants and we used to do the audit of Hardwick's, twice a year. I think that the offices were on the first floor. The yard was always a mess and full of junk.Hardwick's were members of the National Federation of Demolition Contractors and we used to do their audit as well (at our office). I have just checked and Hardwick's have a website:http://www.fhardwick.com/Ian    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Stutterdog,There is a link on Leodis which mention Hardwick's:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLI can remember that Hardwick's did sell some items from their demolition jobs, including railway sleepers, but I don't think that they sold anything that was new.Apart from knowing the Hargreaves's, as mentioned previously, when I left school I worked for a firm of chartered accountants and we used to do the audit of Hardwick's, twice a year. I think that the offices were on the first floor. The yard was always a mess and full of junk.Hardwick's were members of the National Federation of Demolition Contractors and we used to do their audit as well (at our office). I have just checked and Hardwick's have a website:http://www.fhardwick.com/Ian     Hi Ian, Thanks for the information. I'm more convinced that this is the "woodyard" that Weenie was 0n about .Also a comment from one of the contributors on the Leodis link seems to agree that Hardwicks did sell recalaimed timber.Your research also backs this up I think.
ex-Armley lad