Family History

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
weenie

Post by weenie »

cnosni wrote: On free BMD,unfortunately equates to birth year of 1872Deaths Dec 1908 (>99%)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------MORTON John age 36 Hunslet 9b 186 Well i went to library, couldnt find anthing really, although the clerk suggested he could have been missed off, either visiting somewhere and Martha could presume the other had written him down. but still the Death index suggest 1908 like you said CNOSNI puts him at 1872???, the other possiblity is the Lunatic asylum, is there someway i can check those records???thanks again

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

weenie wrote: cnosni wrote: On free BMD,unfortunately equates to birth year of 1872Deaths Dec 1908 (>99%)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------MORTON John age 36 Hunslet 9b 186 Well i went to library, couldnt find anthing really, although the clerk suggested he could have been missed off, either visiting somewhere and Martha could presume the other had written him down. but still the Death index suggest 1908 like you said CNOSNI puts him at 1872???, the other possiblity is the Lunatic asylum, is there someway i can check those records???thanks again If by chance he was in the asylum he would still be in the census.I think it's just "one of those things"I have found lots of instances where I have found someone in a census,couldn't find them in the next census and then found them in the census after that.It's not a exact science, it was just the householder telling the enumerator who was living there,also I'm sure all census records will not be complete due to loss,damage etc.

liits

Post by liits »

I always said that I wouldn’t get involved in the “tracing the family tree” lark, but I’ve had my curiosity excited by something that my brother said. Problem[s] being that we’re both sitting here Brasso-ing our loose change debating whether we should pay for Ancestory.com. Does anybody have any idea how recent the records are? Probably the most important information would be from the 1940’s, the older stuff isn’t such an issue [I’m thinking along the lines of either a sibling put up for adoption or registration of still-births].

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

liits wrote: I always said that I wouldn’t get involved in the “tracing the family tree” lark, but I’ve had my curiosity excited by something that my brother said. Problem[s] being that we’re both sitting here Brasso-ing our loose change debating whether we should pay for Ancestory.com. Does anybody have any idea how recent the records are? Probably the most important information would be from the 1940’s, the older stuff isn’t such an issue [I’m thinking along the lines of either a sibling put up for adoption or registration of still-births]. Hi LiitsTheres nothing on Ancestry regarding Sill Born or adoption.They do however have all birth marriages and deaths (General Record Office registrations)up to 2005.If you can give me the surname of a possible child and their mothers maiden name, rough idea of where and when and ill have a check.As much info as possible would be great(Ps if its Smith,Jones etc then dont hold your breath
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: Cnosni or anyone else. Are there any archives for railway personal ?The reason I ask is that my Grandfather joined the railway (in Leeds) between 1891 and 1901 and was still there when he died in 1937. My Father also worked on the railways (in Leeds) from circa 1924 till his retirement in 1971. My Dad used to joke (I think) that they only joined the railway so that they didn't have to fight in the wars.             Michael Ay up Mick,sorry i have just noticed this post.I dont think there is anything on the Web but i remember one of the "Who do you think you are" episodes where the woman off of The Royal FRamily/Brookside thought her da had driven the Flying Scotsman.Cant remember what exactly she did but i recall she manged to contact her father local union branch.That might be a way of checking.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

liits

Post by liits »

cnosni wrote: liits wrote: I always said that I wouldn’t get involved in the “tracing the family tree” lark, but I’ve had my curiosity excited by something that my brother said. Problem[s] being that we’re both sitting here Brasso-ing our loose change debating whether we should pay for Ancestory.com. Does anybody have any idea how recent the records are? Probably the most important information would be from the 1940’s, the older stuff isn’t such an issue [I’m thinking along the lines of either a sibling put up for adoption or registration of still-births]. Hi LiitsTheres nothing on Ancestry regarding Sill Born or adoption.They do however have all birth marriages and deaths (General Record Office registrations)up to 2005.If you can give me the surname of a possible child and their mothers maiden name, rough idea of where and when and ill have a check.As much info as possible would be great(Ps if its Smith,Jones etc then dont hold your breath Hi cnosni,For reasons that, hopefully, may become apparent [and to preserve the modesty of other family members, some of whom use Secret Leeds] [and I'll buy you a pint the next time I'm in Leeds]    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

liits wrote: I always said that I wouldn’t get involved in the “tracing the family tree” lark, but I’ve had my curiosity excited by something that my brother said. Problem[s] being that we’re both sitting here Brasso-ing our loose change debating whether we should pay for Ancestory.com. Does anybody have any idea how recent the records are? Probably the most important information would be from the 1940’s, the older stuff isn’t such an issue [I’m thinking along the lines of either a sibling put up for adoption or registration of still-births]. Two useful free siteshttp://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote: uncle mick wrote: Cnosni or anyone else. Are there any archives for railway personal ?The reason I ask is that my Grandfather joined the railway (in Leeds) between 1891 and 1901 and was still there when he died in 1937. My Father also worked on the railways (in Leeds) from circa 1924 till his retirement in 1971. My Dad used to joke (I think) that they only joined the railway so that they didn't have to fight in the wars.             Michael Ay up Mick,sorry i have just noticed this post.I dont think there is anything on the Web but i remember one of the "Who do you think you are" episodes where the woman off of The Royal FRamily/Brookside thought her da had driven the Flying Scotsman.Cant remember what exactly she did but i recall she manged to contact her father local union branch.That might be a way of checking. Thanks for your reply Michael

liits

Post by liits »

uncle mick wrote: liits wrote: I always said that I wouldn’t get involved in the “tracing the family tree” lark, but I’ve had my curiosity excited by something that my brother said. Problem[s] being that we’re both sitting here Brasso-ing our loose change debating whether we should pay for Ancestory.com. Does anybody have any idea how recent the records are? Probably the most important information would be from the 1940’s, the older stuff isn’t such an issue [I’m thinking along the lines of either a sibling put up for adoption or registration of still-births]. Two useful free siteshttp://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ Thanks for those but I know that my brother has tried them both. This is why we were thinking along the lines of either a child put up for adoption [is a child put up for adoption still registered with the mother's name?] or a still birth [are they registered at all?]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

liits wrote: cnosni wrote: liits wrote: I always said that I wouldn’t get involved in the “tracing the family tree” lark, but I’ve had my curiosity excited by something that my brother said. Problem[s] being that we’re both sitting here Brasso-ing our loose change debating whether we should pay for Ancestory.com. Does anybody have any idea how recent the records are? Probably the most important information would be from the 1940’s, the older stuff isn’t such an issue [I’m thinking along the lines of either a sibling put up for adoption or registration of still-births]. Hi LiitsTheres nothing on Ancestry regarding Sill Born or adoption.They do however have all birth marriages and deaths (General Record Office registrations)up to 2005.If you can give me the surname of a possible child and their mothers maiden name, rough idea of where and when and ill have a check.As much info as possible would be great(Ps if its Smith,Jones etc then dont hold your breath Hi cnosni,For reasons that, hopefully, may become apparent [and to preserve the modesty of other family members, some of whom use Secret Leeds] [and I'll buy you a pint the next time I'm in Leeds]     Hi LiitsThe email address you gave has an immediate mailer daemon email return.