tracing Army records

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

liits wrote: Si wrote: Hi Chris (Cnosni), if you're around. I've recently come across these WWI medals, and assumed they were William Shires', as previously discussed in this thread. However, on closer inspection, the name struck into the outside edge is F.F.GLENDINNING (incorrect spelling), his service number, and W.York.R. This means they are my other great grandad's, but there are two "To Commemorate Peace 1919" medals. Why would this be the case, or do they belong to two individuals? The ribbons came in a separate envelope, and look like they've never been threaded onto the medals themselves. The 14-18 medal is still in it's original box, which says Vaughton Ltd Goldsmiths, Medallists. Livery Street, Birmingham.Just thought it might be of interest.Cheers,Si.     It is possible to have medals re-issued with the name correctly engraved if there is a spelling mistake, altough the original incorrect ones have to be returned. Replacements [becasue of loss, theft etc] don't have the name on them.I'm guessing that "F.F." is Frederick Firth Glendening. What did he do between leaving the Hopewell Inn [1904] and joining up. Do you know?     Liits you are far too bleeding clever by half
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

liits wrote: It is possible to have medals re-issued with the name correctly engraved if there is a spelling mistake, altough the original incorrect ones have to be returned. Replacements [becasue of loss, theft etc] don't have the name on them.I'm guessing that "F.F." is Frederick Firth Glendening. What did he do between leaving the Hopewell Inn [1904] and joining up. Do you know?     That is correct, Liits. Private 34771, West Yorkshire Regiment, Labour Corps. His name is spelt wrong in the Medal Rolls Index too. I guess it's a bit late to order him a new medal - he died in the 30s! I don't think he ever wore the medal either, as the ribbon is still separate, in it's little brown envelope. No, I don't know what he did after 1904. I'll have to ask me dad.

Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: liits wrote: Si wrote: Hi Chris (Cnosni), if you're around. I've recently come across these WWI medals, and assumed they were William Shires', as previously discussed in this thread. However, on closer inspection, the name struck into the outside edge is F.F.GLENDINNING (incorrect spelling), his service number, and W.York.R. This means they are my other great grandad's, but there are two "To Commemorate Peace 1919" medals. Why would this be the case, or do they belong to two individuals? The ribbons came in a separate envelope, and look like they've never been threaded onto the medals themselves. The 14-18 medal is still in it's original box, which says Vaughton Ltd Goldsmiths, Medallists. Livery Street, Birmingham.Just thought it might be of interest.Cheers,Si.     It is possible to have medals re-issued with the name correctly engraved if there is a spelling mistake, altough the original incorrect ones have to be returned. Replacements [becasue of loss, theft etc] don't have the name on them.I'm guessing that "F.F." is Frederick Firth Glendening. What did he do between leaving the Hopewell Inn [1904] and joining up. Do you know?     Liits you are far too bleeding clever by half I'nt 'e just!