Long shot re: Childrens days

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

I know that Childrens' Day has been mentioned here and there, but here is a specific request ... I was one of the page boys at the last 'real' childrens day - must have been 64 or 65 I think. Chosen because I had blonde hair, my fellow blonde page was called Andrew (I think) and the crown bearer was called Kevin - chosen because he had black hair. We all looked like angels of course .... I remember going to Schofields to be fitted out, plus there was some do or other at The Town Hall .... but on the day itself it POURED it down (and that's being polite).Now I did have a scrap book and all that but this was lost in a burglary when I lived in Bramley - I just wondered if by and remote chance anyone had photos or other memories from that day? It was extensively covered but I can't find anything in Leodis .... a long shot I know!

daver

Post by daver »

The Yorlshire Evening Post made and sold a DVD last year with a lot of footage of Roundhay Park Children's Day

Newsman

Post by Newsman »

I've got loads of Children's Day photos, can't date them all unfotunately, most seem to be of the 50s, but some must be later.If I could work out a way to PM you I'd send my email addy for you to get in touch

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

Many thanks - sounds very interesting! And well my email can be seen on my profile ... ;-)

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Newsman wrote: I've got loads of Children's Day photos, can't date them all unfotunately, most seem to be of the 50s, but some must be later.If I could work out a way to PM you I'd send my email addy for you to get in touch NEWSMAN - click on patexpat's name.

Samson

Post by Samson »

I was there on the day it poured from the sky at Children's Day and i think it was 1964 or 65.I had volunteered for something to help out (Can not remember what now!) and the heavens opened. I remember trying to get home and there were massive queues for the buses. A married couple stopped in a Morris Traveller and gave us a lift to near where I lived. I was soaked through. I have a feeling that this wash out spelled the end of Children's Day, an event that was very popular before. I remember as a youngster training for the School Maypole dancing team in the 1950's...."Come lasses and Lads" etc
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

Yes Samson, that was without doubt the same childrens day I was page boy - it rained so much that all the official stuff was hurriedly transferred to the Mansion House and the day came to a very damp halt very quickly .... and I seem to remember my mams new outfit being ruined!

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

Newsman wrote: I've got loads of Children's Day photos, can't date them all unfotunately, most seem to be of the 50s, but some must be later.If I could work out a way to PM you I'd send my email addy for you to get in touch Hey Newsman, you got any of the 1957 Childrens Day ?Thats when I got my silver spoon , no photos of the event though

Newsman

Post by Newsman »

1957 children's day:
Attachments
__TFMF_bm1bq445tnvxi2f524zczo55_50bebfae-e184-4d6b-b906-ec0593fb3c92_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_bm1bq445tnvxi2f524zczo55_50bebfae-e184-4d6b-b906-ec0593fb3c92_0_main.jpg (93.81 KiB) Viewed 7768 times