Things you don't hear anymore!

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Reginal Perrin wrote: We used to get the sound of explosives expanding pipes underwater at Yorkshire Copper Works in Stourton. we got that in gipton! i often wondered what it was..until i worked there,then it scares the [edited for content] out of you.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

keefmoon

Post by keefmoon »

Reginal Perrin wrote: We used to get the sound of explosives expanding pipes underwater at Yorkshire Copper Works in Stourton. My old man worked there. They use, or used, a cold press. Which is basically a copper billet that gets hit with a big piece of kit which forces it into shape (from what I remember). Went once or twice as a kid to pick up his wage (in a paper packet), the noise was deafening.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Just imagine being the one who has to carefully use a blowlamp to precisely fill those little groves in the fittings with solder

keefmoon

Post by keefmoon »

chameleon wrote: Just imagine being the one who has to carefully use a blowlamp to precisely fill those little groves in the fittings with solder So you are a plumber?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

keefmoon wrote: chameleon wrote: Just imagine being the one who has to carefully use a blowlamp to precisely fill those little groves in the fittings with solder So you are a plumber? No, but in my very youthful days, I did look at those things and wonder how they did it so well!Now I know of course, it's obvious enough. Just one of life's little mysteries for a while, yes, sad I know

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Geordie-exile wrote: Ding ding! Lovely, inviting to a child buttons on the LCT buses.Air raid testing siren. Mister Softee's jingle.Kids singing, 'The Farmer's in his Den' and 'The Big Ship sails on the Alley-alley-oh''Would you like to buy a War Cry?' Its years since I heard a factory hooter.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!