Tillotson's Removal & Storage

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Gillian

Post by Gillian »

Hi all, I'm a newbie here, so not sure if I have the correct forum...but here goes.My grdad (Harold Crossley 1895 Leeds - 1969) was the director and owner of a firm called 'Tillotson's Removal & Storage' situated at 210 North Street, Leeds. He, my gran and my dad lived above the business premises.From what I can make out from the censuses this company existed before my grdads time (in 1901 a Henry B Tillotson b. 1864 was living at 210 North street...occupation..coal merchant and removal contractor. So far there seems no relation to my family)My gdad didn't change the name. Someone vaguely mentioned that just before my gdad it had been a bus company with one or two double decker buses, and in the window it had one or two model buses, which my dad and his cousin played with.During WWII the company took in for storage lots of furniture, bedding and stuff from the Grand Hotel. Unfortunatley, after the war the inventory came up missing several items...gdad couldn't pay and the comany went bankrupt.Does anyone know more of this place/ business?? My dad passed on several years ago, before I got the genealogy bug...but I'm hoping that you Leeds lovers and experts could help me ...at least to direct me where to go from here.Sorry it's so long winded. I tried to attatch a photo which I believe is a Tillotson van, disappearing around the corner in 1938 on Boars lane, Leeds which I I found on Leodis but couldn't seem to attatch it..Thanks, Gillian

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Sorry I can't assist with your query, Gillian.However, I would request that you don't sneeze while posting to this forum!Best wishes for your search.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.