Things you miss about the old Leeds. . .

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BLAKEY wrote: The original cancellors were purely mechanical, and the "multi journey tickets" (before Saverstrips) had no electronic coding. The amount of fiddling by the dishonest and enterprising fraternity was enormous, and some of the methods were quite impressive. To be perfectly honest Blakey, I just used to keep shoving it in the slot until it sid no - never really looked at them to chaeck the joiurnies, but certainly never did anything deliberate to fool it though thinking back it wouldn't have taken much effort I don't think but would surely be quite obvious upon inspection.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

On the way to school we used to shallow dip to get an extra journey or two. Crims the lot of us!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

chameleon wrote: To be perfectly honest Blakey, I just used to keep shoving it in the slot until it sid no - never really looked at them to chaeck the joiurnies, but certainly never did anything deliberate to fool it though thinking back it wouldn't have taken much effort I don't think but would surely be quite obvious upon inspection. Yes indeed - very easy to detect upon inspection, but those disposed to fiddle were well aware that the chance of detection was low enough to make the risk worthwhile, and in any case there could be no punishment as the inadequate machinery was at least partly to blame, so there it was.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Cardiarms wrote: On the way to school we used to shallow dip to get an extra journey or two. Crims the lot of us! "Shallow dip" - I have to say that is the most magnificent and catchy bit of technical jargon I've ever heard - have a free 10 journey ticket on us
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Thank you - but I have to admit it's from a Japanese, um..., er..., technical manual.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Cardiarms wrote: Thank you - but I have to admit it's from a Japanese, um..., er..., technical manual. Hmmm....it is, is it ?? - I bet that volume's well worth reading eh ??

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

There aren't that many words.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Cardiarms wrote: There aren't that many words. That's the one !!