THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
warringtonrhino

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by warringtonrhino »

Weetabix boxes with printed cutouts, which allowed you to make a vehicle, like a cardboard version of Airfix.
bus conductors.
rubber/glass cats eyes
When I was a child, our family went to Scarborough most years.
Across the road from the beach, there was a moon rocket pointing to the sky.
It never moved except on the Friday, when as a treat, mum and dad paid for me to go inside.
There were steps, like in a helter skelter with windows looking down onto the beach.
At the top we were strapped into seats for the trip to the moon.
There was a mighty roar and the rocket shook, the windows at the top were tv screens, and we watched the earth disappear as we approached the moon.
We did not land on the moon due to 'fuel probems' and we were soon back in Scarborough
For years I was baffled why the rocket did not launch all week, only when I was inside.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Scarboro story great.
Gobstoppers that lasted for days ( guess Health and safety)

Men walking round town with sandwich boards saying "The World Ends Tomorrow" on a Friday afternoon and then saying to their mate "See you on Monday"
Last edited by j.c.d. on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Talking of printed cutouts (see warringtonrhino's interesting post Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:54 pm) it made me think of the small 'toys' that were in cereal boxes. I don't know if they are still given but I've not seen any for very many years in cereals that I get.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

j.c.d. wrote:Scarboro story great.
Gobstoppers that lasted for days ( guess Health and safety)

Men walking round town with sandwich boards saying "The World Ends Tomorrow" on a Friday afternoon and then saying to their mate "See you on Monday"
I remember seeing sandwich board men in Leeds with the more old fashioned message " The end is nigh ". I doubt if anyone uses nigh anymore . My grandad use to say "Its nigh on 6 o'clock" or "Nigh on teatime".
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

neil jackson

Post by neil jackson »

Rag n bone men

jim

Post by jim »

A rag and bone man can still be seen sporadically round Armley (no, it's not me!).

neil jackson

Post by neil jackson »

Mathers black beer

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Millgarth police station
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

neil jackson wrote:Mathers black beer
Today I have been delivering Mathers Black Beer to my family in Leeds for Christmas. :lol:
Some Morrisons supermarkets sell/sold it, and the wholesaler for it is in Huddersfield.

Mcmanus66

Post by Mcmanus66 »

50 kids all trying to get the last conkers out of a tree, by throwing anything you could get yer hands on at it, including yer mate if he was small enough :)
Cut me in half & it says Leeds through & through