The Wreck of the 'Sandford'

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
simonm

Post by simonm »

rangieowner wrote: Arry i think he were saying most of bramley looks like that at the best of times!!!!!! :0 :0Would I?? Arry, I hope your not using the tea tray while singing that?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Love a Landrover

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Useta, but kept gettin shockin headaches!Who used to do that traybashing act? Can't remember now!AAAAWWWW!Gotta go off line nowCheersArry

jane666

Post by jane666 »

wave bye bye, it's gone.
Get in the tardis. We're off to Manchester 1973

Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

There was a big fire there yesterday, I can see the site from work.

simonm

Post by simonm »

arry awk wrote: Useta, but kept gettin shockin headaches!Who used to do that traybashing act? Can't remember now!AAAAWWWW!Gotta go off line nowCheersArry A chap called Bob Blackman..Take a lookee ere. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJP-9TaGis
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

stevief

Post by stevief »

simonm wrote: arry awk wrote: Useta, but kept gettin shockin headaches!Who used to do that traybashing act? Can't remember now!AAAAWWWW!Gotta go off line nowCheersArry A chap called Bob Blackman..Take a lookee ere. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJP-9TaGis LOL!! I remember seeing him YEARS ago on the Generation game,you should have seen the contestants faces,thinking they were going to have to do it.It's a ridiculous act but strangely amusing.Nowt to do with The Sandford though...

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

I'm new to this forum, Hello everyone. I drove past the Sandford this week and saw it practically destroyed and did a google search for any photos and turned up this forum.Great stuff !As regards an air raid shelter behind the Sandford, I lived on Broadlea Street and went to Wyther Park School, so I went past there every day going to school.In the 1950's the scrub land behind the Sandford ended in a bit of a minor "cliff" adjoining the footpath on Broad Lane, a few meters down Broad Lane there was a concrete portal set into the "cliff" which was supposed to be the entrance to an old air raid shelter, the entrance was bricked up.I left Wyther Park in 1958 to go to Leeds Central and the next time I saw it some bricks had been knocked out at the top and it would have been possible to get in. There was some talk about kids getting in and it not being safe and the next time I saw it the entrance had been resealed and concrete poured over it. I haven't seen it recently.FWIR it would have been about here:<http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.81410 ... jHopefully you will see the same little crosshairs I do. In any event I reckon it was where there is now a gap in the vegetation alongside the footpath on Broad Lane just below the Sandford.That's a large area of scrub land, and could conceal a large air raid shelter, in fact one might wonder why else the council left it vacant. It's not much of an amenity for the tenants on the Sandford Estate (built 1935 - 1938 ) and would have been prime building land alongside Broad Lane.It wouldn't make sense to make another one close by, it would be only seconds from the Sandford Arms and the Sandford School.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

a very warm welcome bramley4woods
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

the sandford has always looked this way aint it?..i can't see what all the fuss is about...
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?