Outside Loo

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
liits

Outside Loo

Post by liits »

Back in the 80's the Tetley Pub Hunt and the Tetley Pub Inquiry introduced me to lots of pubs that I wouldn't ordinarily have gone into. One of these was the Market Tavern [Mad House - although it was pretty ordinary when I went in]. The two things that I remember vividly [three if you include the stench] are the toilet arrangements.
I seem to remember that there were three urinals and that they were a natural earthenware colour - as opposed to white, and that they were also outside; in a yard out the back is probably the best description I can come up with.
Further to this, the Market Tavern wasn't the only pub with an outside lav but I cannot remember what the other one was. Can anybody help?

tyke bhoy

Re: Outside Loo

Post by tyke bhoy »

Duck and Drake?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The White Swan on Call Lane had the Gents outside across the yard.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Whitelocks' toilets were outside the pub further up the passage.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

In the market area you may have been thinking of the now closed Royal Oak on Union Street?
The toilets were on the left under the arch as you approached the pub.Useful for nipping into if caught short in the area for those in the know :D
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Most of the old Pubs around town had outside Karzies, In Kirkgate there was The Regent, The Scotsman and The Royal Oak (Diddley Dee). The Whip and maybe The Duncan on Duncan St. had outside toilets. up to the late 1960s I would say a large percentage of Leeds Pubs had their toilets outside at the back of the pub, not a bad idea as the pong at times was a bit strong.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I remember when I was in the R.A.F. in the 1950s and found my self in various parts of the country quite often
I would find the Pub urinal where I was having a drink had a blue "Leeds" stamp in the marble showing that it was obviously made there. I never knew where the factory was.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

The Queens in Horsforth have an outside loo i think........
Come on Leeds United!

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

I'd been trying to submit that post for two days!! The site kept throwing up errors....
Come on Leeds United!

liits

Post by liits »

sparky415 wrote:The Queens in Horsforth have an outside loo i think........
I had problems replying too.
thanks for the replies, it was a Tetley's pub so possibly Whip or the Mucky Duck.