The Bulls Head Domestic stree Holbeck

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
tilly

Re: The Bulls Head Domestic stree Holbeck

Post by tilly »

Hi jcd its so long ago its sometimes hard to recall Being from Hunslet i knew the area like the back of my hand.It has changed so much i find it hard to remember where things used to be.A few weeks ago i was coming home from Jimmys hospital as it was after seven pm the tunnels were closed so i thought i would go via Blackbull Street i got over Crownpoint Bridge and lost my way somehow i ended up on the 621.When i was a kid i could have found my way with my eyes shut.What i am getting at is all the places i knew are beyond recognition.Sorry for going off the topic.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

tilly wrote:Hi Jim Hope you are keeping well i remember the Queens was once a Theater long before my time it had three balcony's.The top one was not used it was a bit spooky when you looked up.I used to go to the Palace Picture House i think it was at the junction of Meadow Lane and Dewsbury Road The pub you gigged at would that have been on Jack Lane.? :)

The Palace was I think actually on Meadow Road slightly higher up than the Junction with Dewsbury Road. on that junction was a Pub who's name escapes (maybe White House) and opposite was the Union Tavern (Card in the window "Come in and see Wilf") and next door was the P.D.S.A. which had a really ornamental frontage and maybe at one time that had been a Pub.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

j.c.d. wrote:
tilly wrote:Hi Jim Hope you are keeping well i remember the Queens was once a Theater long before my time it had three balcony's.The top one was not used it was a bit spooky when you looked up.I used to go to the Palace Picture House i think it was at the junction of Meadow Lane and Dewsbury Road The pub you gigged at would that have been on Jack Lane.? :)

The Palace was I think actually on Meadow Road slightly higher up than the Junction with Dewsbury Road. on that junction was a Pub who's name escapes (maybe White House) and opposite was the Union Tavern (Card in the window "Come in and see Wilf") and next door was the P.D.S.A. which had a really ornamental frontage and maybe at one time that had been a Pub.
Not a very good photo but it shows The White House & the cinema.
Attachments
White House.jpg
White House.jpg (28.71 KiB) Viewed 3775 times

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

uncle mick wrote:
j.c.d. wrote:

That actually is a good picture of that junction, I have not seen t before, it even has the toilets on show. I remember the landlord of the White House trying to have them moved.

tilly

Post by tilly »

uncle mick wrote:
j.c.d. wrote:

On the left over the road were the Meadow Lane Gas Works main gates used to go in there with a pram for coke has a kid.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

tilly wrote:On the left over the road were the Meadow Lane Gas Works main gates used to go in there with a pram for coke has a kid.
This must be the Gas Works where you went for Coke then Tilly, always preferred Pepsi myself. Hope it brings back some memories.
The map is from 1891 and cost 4/- wow
Attachments
Meadow Lane 1891.JPG
Meadow Lane 1891.JPG (298.83 KiB) Viewed 3726 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi buffaloskinner Thats the Gas Works i meant thanks for the post.The road between the gas holders and the works is still there but just about every thing else has gone.I must remember to try not to drift off the thread its so easy to do when something brings the past back to life :P .

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

The odd times I went down to the gas works with my pal and his pram we used to go through the gates on Meadow Road, On Dewsbury Road the street that was between the Gas board workings was a great short cut to Hunslet Rd. and town (think it led onto Kidacre St by the Railway yard ( now Crown Point shopping Precinct)

jim

Post by jim »

The street you mention is almost certainly Holmes Street. When the railway department I worked for was based on Kidacre Street (in what was once Heinz's warehouse) I passed the length of Holmes Street four or more times a day regularly.
Last edited by jim on Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jim and jcd Brought back many happy memories talking about this area . I would love to have one day back in time, but that's me a silly old sod.We tend to stray we must remember its the Black Bull thread.All the best to you both.