Black Horse Mabgate

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
loiner99

Black Horse Mabgate

Post by loiner99 »

Does anyone have info on my uncle and aunties pub The Black Horse, Mabgate which they ran around the late 50s or early 60s
batchoy

liits

Re: Black Horse Mabgate

Post by liits »

Can't help much with the Primrose, sadly it closed sometime in the 50's . It only held a Beer House License, not a full Publican's License and the Beer House Licensing Registers for that period have not yet been released to the WY Archive and are still held by the Clerk to the Justices.
The Black Horse, was also a beer house but gained it's full license in February 1960. It was owned by Melbourn and later Tetley's. From 1891 until 1948 it was under the control of just two families. After that, the license changed hands a few times to Roy Crowther, Ernest Melvin Lewis, Goerge Oates, Ronald Crossland and Genry Stogdale. Would one of these have been your relation?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I think John Knight was the Landlord in the early 70s. my good pal Kenny Wray (deceased) was also the guvnor but that was in the 80s. I had many happy boozy weekends in there

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

liits wrote:Can't help much with the Primrose, sadly it closed sometime in the 50's . It only held a Beer House License, not a full Publican's License and the Beer House Licensing Registers for that period have not yet been released to the WY Archive and are still held by the Clerk to the Justices.
The Black Horse, was also a beer house but gained it's full license in February 1960. It was owned by Melbourn and later Tetley's. From 1891 until 1948 it was under the control of just two families. After that, the license changed hands a few times to Roy Crowther, Ernest Melvin Lewis, Goerge Oates, Ronald Crossland and Genry Stogdale. Would one of these have been your relation?

What is the diff between pub and beer house?
My uncle and auntie were Tommy and Eileen Parsons. Eileen in later times was barmaid at the Yew Tree LS9 for many years
batchoy

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Often people use the term pub to include beerhouses, but originally public houses had a full licence to sell all alcohoilic products , while a beerhouse had a licence to only sell beer and cider..