Rodley

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
D2G

Post by D2G »

Not sure if thats a myth, my book doesn't have a "ladies of ill repute" section lol. Where is the stanhope pub located (the building, i know its no longer a pub) reminds me of that old house next to the river at kirkstall,

trophy

Post by trophy »

it s the large building at the side of the railway bridge where the station was the small building is the station masters house it s the last photo on this forum.

D2G

Post by D2G »

Technically not about pubs but since its about Rodley, Was anyone going past the doctors surgery at 8am? there were two fire engines outside but i couldn't see any smoke or anything. Any ideas what was going on?

baldybikerboy

Post by baldybikerboy »

Hi all,On the Rodley theme, I was a mid-60's child brought up in Rodley. My Dad was the local Piano-tuner.I was there today and took some snaps. The snaps I took all have a past memory which I have described on each uploaded picture to my Flickr site.Here's a link to 27 pictures - unfortunataley it doesn't seem to work direct you have to copy and paste to the Url:http://www.flickr.com/photos/23365014@N ... 225554786/
Attachments
__TFMF_gmzbk455ggc3nd45oqg1qvjd_634c2cf4-0236-4f5c-93d9-64d6d4852a21_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gmzbk455ggc3nd45oqg1qvjd_634c2cf4-0236-4f5c-93d9-64d6d4852a21_0_main.jpg (669.74 KiB) Viewed 2824 times

keefjess

Post by keefjess »

Hi, Just came to this site as I'm a bookseller and just about to list a book on The Stanhope pub which is mentioned on this forum. Wanted to know if it was still upright. So here's a bit of info on the pub. It was a standard pub until 1937 when it was taken over by the guy who wrote the book, a Mr. J..G. Showers. To be honest he looks a bit creepy in the photograph inside and has a penchant for posing in front of a coat of arms so that it appears he's wearing a crown. Mr. Showers was an entrepreneur and the pub had a 'Tyrolean' and 'Tudor' lounge and he put on musical entertainment and by all accounts the pub became extremely popular. As mentioned in one of the threads an unusual aspect to his trading was that he had a fairly extensive Chinese menu alongside traditional English food. The book I'm selling, as well as being signed, also contains an immaculate pamphlet from 1953 when Mr. Showers was still in charge. As well as local advertising the leaflet includes the menu and price list for both bar and restaurant. Fascinating stuff with a Chow Mein or Mixed Grill costing 6/- (30p) and this could be washed down with a pint of Guinness or Bass at 1/6d (7 1/2p) or Cider at 10d (around 4p). Entertainment was provided by Barri Chatt and Terri Gardener with something called 'Cavalcade of Women' and Harold Walden who appears to have been a type of comedian.Hope this extends a bit of knowledge - oh, and if you want the book it'll be listed on e-Bay on 8th March 2009 at 7.30ish, just search for keefjess, at a start price of just £4.99 (That's a lot of Chow Meins).Regards and thanks for letting an exiled Geordie now living near Wakefield on to your site.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

D2G wrote: Hello, never noticed this thread before!. I have an old 1980s book on rodley (Rodley in Times Past - M. Pearson and M. Holt) with some facts in (i'll assume they are true)1, There was a man who lived in Rodley called "Fish Jim" and he used to carry buckets of fish on his head2, There was a lady on wood street with a mangle and for coppers she would do your weekly washes3, Apparently an old lady called "the knocker upper" used to come round if you requested with a large inverted umbrella type object and knock on your bedroom windows4, Until after ww2 resisdents could only get water from a pump located in the square5, During the 20's and 30's there was an annual carnival though rodley, complete with carnival queen6, Harrisons shop on town street was demolished in 1946 by a stolen run away army lorryHope you enjoyed these, I will assume they are all gathered from fact lol A friend who used to work at Sandoz in the 60s said there was a young lady colleague who was known as "Miss Rodley Bottom" He wasn't sure if it was a spoof nickname or whether she had actually won a beauty pageant or been a carnival queen.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

stevief

Post by stevief »

keefjess wrote: Hi, Just came to this site as I'm a bookseller and just about to list a book on The Stanhope pub which is mentioned on this forum. Wanted to know if it was still upright. So here's a bit of info on the pub. It was a standard pub until 1937 when it was taken over by the guy who wrote the book, a Mr. J..G. Showers. To be honest he looks a bit creepy in the photograph inside and has a penchant for posing in front of a coat of arms so that it appears he's wearing a crown. Mr. Showers was an entrepreneur and the pub had a 'Tyrolean' and 'Tudor' lounge and he put on musical entertainment and by all accounts the pub became extremely popular. As mentioned in one of the threads an unusual aspect to his trading was that he had a fairly extensive Chinese menu alongside traditional English food. The book I'm selling, as well as being signed, also contains an immaculate pamphlet from 1953 when Mr. Showers was still in charge. As well as local advertising the leaflet includes the menu and price list for both bar and restaurant. Fascinating stuff with a Chow Mein or Mixed Grill costing 6/- (30p) and this could be washed down with a pint of Guinness or Bass at 1/6d (7 1/2p) or Cider at 10d (around 4p). Entertainment was provided by Barri Chatt and Terri Gardener with something called 'Cavalcade of Women' and Harold Walden who appears to have been a type of comedian.Hope this extends a bit of knowledge - oh, and if you want the book it'll be listed on e-Bay on 8th March 2009 at 7.30ish, just search for keefjess, at a start price of just £4.99 (That's a lot of Chow Meins).Regards and thanks for letting an exiled Geordie now living near Wakefield on to your site. Welcome to the site keefjess.If the landlord you mention is Jack Showers he later ran a pub in Appletreewick (1970s?) It was unique in its day for being a non-smoking establishment.I believe he owned the premises which gave him some autonomy.His girlfriend had died of lung cancer so he barred smokers from his pub.He was interviewed by local TV at the time when it was regarded as an unusual story.

ellamforengland

Post by ellamforengland »

Hi I'm new hereI've been reading with interest about Rodley, The Railway pub and the Stanhope, just thought I'd like to add my contribution. I grew up around Rodley and remember there being an old railway carriage on overgrown land further down from the railway pub, as kids we would explore it, this would be around 1960'ish, and also the landlord of the stanhope was John Showers, a bit of an eccentric with handlebar moustache, he had caravans in the car park where ladies of I'll repute used to ply their trade, business was good but he left for some reason and took on a pub in appletreewick, the new inn l think, he became famous for publishing a book called ''showers and bright intervals'' still available on Amazon and he was the first landlord in England to ban smoking in his pub.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

How strange, only yesterday my friends and I were chatting about how [edited for content] the weather was for Easter bank holiday weekend. We got onto the subject of campsites we'd been to and someone mentioned Appletreewick and the pub there where smoking was banned long before the government brought in the smoking ban. Then today I read this here...! How spooky. I found this newspaper clipping online:http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 23,1472161
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge