Real Ale lovers take note!!

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I can recommend the VERITAS bar that has opened opposite the LGI (used to be The Hogshead at one time).They have a really good range of local beers in.Beware the mulled wine though!I tried it the other night and the amount of cinnamon in it made my eyes water!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Great news for real ale lovers in Horsforth. The Fleece on New Road side is no longer a John Piths, sorry John Smiths house - but has been taken over by Theakstons! Draught 'Old Pec 'anyone?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Fresh, crisp Carling please (real ale lovers wince), better still mixed 50/50 with spesh     

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

I noticed the To Let sign has gone from the Fleece and it seems to be doing OK when I've gone past.A new place just opened up on New Station St this week. They don't have a website yet but they are on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/friendsofham) and Twitter (http://twitter.com/friendsofham). It only opened on Monday so I haven't had a chance to call in but it sounds like it could be interesting.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

drapesy wrote: Great news for real ale lovers in Horsforth. The Fleece on New Road side is no longer a John Piths, sorry John Smiths house - but has been taken over by Theakstons! Draught 'Old Pec 'anyone? Thanks for that...Yes please I'll drop by...But the draught Directors they used to sell was superb so one great pint out one in......

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Thre is an interesting bar /gallery opened on Whitehall ,the White Cloth Gallery.It has a changing saltaire beer on and the owners plan to add more pumps.They do lovely home made pizza and are groing herbs and pepers on the walls and every available space!Lovely friendly little place that i have ben popping into for the last few months.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

simong

Post by simong »

The Parksider wrote: drapesy wrote: Great news for real ale lovers in Horsforth. The Fleece on New Road side is no longer a John Piths, sorry John Smiths house - but has been taken over by Theakstons! Draught 'Old Pec 'anyone? Thanks for that...Yes please I'll drop by...But the draught Directors they used to sell was superb so one great pint out one in...... Wonder if they're going to bring the decor up to date, or at least into the 21st century. The last time I went in (about four years ago admittedly) it still had chicken in a basket on the menu as well.

beast

Post by beast »

Went past the Stew and Oyster at Oakwood today,formerly the bank.Theakstons pub, anyone been in ? it was empty when I went past but I would imagine its decent if its Theakstons

beast

Post by beast »

Worst pub in Ilkley has to be the the Station , full of low lifes,bar staff unfriendly and top wack prices to drink in a sh**hole of a pub. No real ale either !

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

beast wrote: Worst pub in Ilkley has to be the the Station , full of low lifes,bar staff unfriendly and top wack prices to drink in a sh**hole of a pub. No real ale either ! When I was a young 'un in Ilkley the Station was a nice pub with traditional small rooms - everything changes eh ??The nearby Midland is quite amenable though and "unspoilt" to a good degree.Both are railway hotels from the nineteenth century - as the name suggests the Midland was built by the LMS London Midland and Scottish, and the Station by the LNER London and North Eastern.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.