Real Ale lovers take note!!

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I had my first pint of 'Leeds Best' in the Grove the other day - absolutely superb - well worth a try if you like a hoppy light bitter.Brewed in Holbeck too!!!http://www.leedsbrewery.co.uk/index.html
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

stevief

Post by stevief »

drapesy wrote: I had my first pint of 'Leeds Best' in the Grove the other day - absolutely superb - well worth a try if you like a hoppy light bitter.Brewed in Holbeck too!!!http://www.leedsbrewery.co.uk/index.html Cheers drapesy! I've got a few days off this week and that's on my 'to do' list.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

I take it this is a microbrewery? My browser wont let me open the link you posted I have supped microbrewery ales all over the USA and also here in Denmark. Some absolutely CHOICE ales being brewed to old recipes! Godd luck to them! Hope it takes off
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I hate those new smooth beers with a passion! Campaign for the cask conditioned ales to be brought back with a vigour!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

stevief

Post by stevief »

simonm wrote: I hate those new smooth beers with a passion! Campaign for the cask conditioned ales to be brought back with a vigour!! I'm a proud member of CAMRA simonm and I'm with you all the wayre-smooth.I started drinking in the 70's and it really was the dark ages for cask beer,if it hadn't been for Tetleys providing a few oases we'd have had to enjoy the delights of Double Diamond,Worthington'E' and Watneys Red Barrel.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I think on the whole camra do a cracking job, but the guys that used to meet in my pub were a reet bunch of pretentious prats. Not that I'm lumping you all in that catagory you understand!! Those wouldn't have known a real beer if it jumped and hit em plumb between the eyes!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

stevief

Post by stevief »

simonm wrote: I think on the whole camra do a cracking job, but the arses that used to meet in my pub were a reet bunch of pretentious prats. Not that I'm lumping you all in that catagory you understand!! Those wouldn't have known a real beer if it jumped and hit em plumb between the eyes!! I attended the Oakworth beer festival last year and unfortunately found myself in the type of company to which you refer.I caught the train back to Haworth and drank with real people.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

stevief wrote: simonm wrote: I hate those new smooth beers with a passion! Campaign for the cask conditioned ales to be brought back with a vigour!! I'm a proud member of CAMRA simonm and I'm with you all the wayre-smooth.I started drinking in the 70's and it really was the dark ages for cask beer,if it hadn't been for Tetleys providing a few oases we'd have had to enjoy the delights of Double Diamond,Worthington'E' and Watneys Red Barrel. I remember those days too - ironically one of the few 'oases' was the Albion on Armley Road. went in the other day only to find the pumps dry and idle and John Pith's 'Smooth' the only 'bitter' on offer!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

simonm

Post by simonm »

drapesy wrote: stevief wrote: simonm wrote: I hate those new smooth beers with a passion! Campaign for the cask conditioned ales to be brought back with a vigour!! I'm a proud member of CAMRA simonm and I'm with you all the wayre-smooth.I started drinking in the 70's and it really was the dark ages for cask beer,if it hadn't been for Tetleys providing a few oases we'd have had to enjoy the delights of Double Diamond,Worthington'E' and Watneys Red Barrel. I remember those days too - ironically one of the few 'oases' was the Albion on Armley Road. went in the other day only to find the pumps dry and idle and John Pith's 'Smooth' the only 'bitter' on offer! You say "ironically", is that because you were aware that that was the pub the wife and I ran? I went in there on my way home from work last year. Asked for a pint of bitter and was told "we don't do that, no call for it??????????"I remember the time i had to up my orders from 3 full barrels to 6 of bitter (cask cnditioned, none of that smooth sh1te) when I had the gaffe. This is probably indicative of why so many pubs are closing these days! Too many people with too little knowledge being employed by companies who only want profit at any cost?

stevief

Post by stevief »

drapesy wrote: I had my first pint of 'Leeds Best' in the Grove the other day - absolutely superb - well worth a try if you like a hoppy light bitter.Brewed in Holbeck too!!!http://www.leedsbrewery.co.uk/index.html I tried the Grove and they've sold out!However they had it on at the Price of Wales.I'm obliged to wear my CAMRA hat on such occasions and put aside parochial loyalty(without being a nerd)but I couldn't fault it!!! A lovely drop.While I'm in the realale thread.Nobody told me the Town Hall Tavernwas now a Timothy Taylors house!(or haven't I being paying attention!)