Real Ale lovers take note!!

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

beast wrote: Went past the Stew and Oyster at Oakwood today,formerly the bank.Theakstons pub, anyone been in ? it was empty when I went past but I would imagine its decent if its Theakstons It got a glowing review in the YMP the other week, although I've not been in myself.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

simong wrote: The Fleece on New Road side Wonder if they're going to bring the decor up to date, or at least into the 21st century. The last time I went in (about four years ago admittedly) it still had chicken in a basket on the menu as well. Simon, the decor reminds me of home and what is wrong with chicken in a basket? It's a great meal although the basket can be a bit chewey.Where is this pub in Oakwood BTW I recall years ago the Gipton, White House and the Oakwood......

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The Parksider wrote: simong wrote: The Fleece on New Road side Wonder if they're going to bring the decor up to date, or at least into the 21st century. The last time I went in (about four years ago admittedly) it still had chicken in a basket on the menu as well. Simon, the decor reminds me of home and what is wrong with chicken in a basket? It's a great meal although the basket can be a bit chewey.Where is this pub in Oakwood BTW I recall years ago the Gipton, White House and the Oakwood...... Where the old HSBC bank was at the top of Roundhay Road, just near the art decco chippie!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

simong

Post by simong »

The Parksider wrote: Simon, the decor reminds me of home and what is wrong with chicken in a basket? It's a great meal although the basket can be a bit chewey. the Fleece was a regular visit on the Horsforth circuit a few years ago, where we usually started before going to the other pubs around New Road Side. It must have an interesting bit of history to it as I think it was a bus or tram terminus before the ring road was built.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

simong wrote: the Fleece was a regular visit on the Horsforth circuit a few years ago, where we usually started before going to the other pubs around New Road Side. It must have an interesting bit of history to it as I think it was a bus or tram terminus before the ring road was built. Yes, for many years it was a Leeds City Transport terminus - originally for the number 4 to Crossgates, and later for the 24/25/26/27 to Swarcliffe. The LCT trams went to Guiseley Whiite Cross and were replaced in the 1930s by then number 70/71 buses.There is much more complex history to the route, but this is not the place - must not digress from the topic
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

simong wrote: The Fleece was a regular visit on the Horsforth circuit a few years ago, where we usually started before going to the other pubs around New Road Side................... Horsforth Hotel? then shurely Town Street?

simong

Post by simong »

The Parksider wrote: simong wrote: The Fleece was a regular visit on the Horsforth circuit a few years ago, where we usually started before going to the other pubs around New Road Side................... Horsforth Hotel? then shurely Town Street? It was usually the Fleece, the Suburban Style Bar then the quiz at the Horsforth. Sometimes the bar below the Last Viceroy. Not exactly an epic crawl...

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

'Stew and Oyster'??? what an absolutely appalling name. It just doesn't work on any level.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Maybe not but that's what it sells, says it right on the tin.