The Owl Inn - Rodley. Closing

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Out of the Leeds area (Bingley), but a similar story to The Owl (this article goes back to early 2012 and the pub was subsequently re-opened in November 2012 with new landlords but has just closed down again in the past couple of weeks):http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... m_pricing/

LS13

Post by LS13 »

Owl still closed and now boarded up 4 months after the previous managers were forced out. Rumours abound that Enterprise are wanting to sell it to Tesco or similar...we'll see.I was told today that the building was originally built as a doctors house rather than a pub. Anyone know if thats true? Looks like a purpose built pub/hotel to me.Also, apparently the beck which runs alongside Bagley Lane is diverted to run through a tunnel which goes under the pub. The grassy bank in the car park apparently houses a deep drainage access duct leading to the beck. For that reason, they can't build houses on the site (another local rumour!)

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

It's right!The beck is culverted under the car park and carries on under the canal, reemerges in a ditch and discharges to the river. One of the few examples of water courses crossing in leeds that I can think of. To be built over would take significant engineering that would be expensive.        

simong

Post by simong »

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Gina from the Owl is now at the Fleece in Farsley and very nice it is too. Martin, formerly of the Abbey, is her cellarman. I'm sure Enterprise could have got another unwitting tenant at the Owl so a supermarket is probably likely.

polo

Post by polo »

I didn't know this thread was on here otherwise idve commented ages ago. Its nice to hear good comments about that place as it was run by my family Gina is my aunt and scott and samantha are my cousins i've even worked there a couple of times.It was so run down and they really did turn that place around when they got it and its a shame to see all that hard work go to waste.On the plus side they got offered the fleece in farsley which opened a couple of weeks back now so hopefully now with the owl closed it will mean less competition and the place will get a bit of business i know the food will be a hit even if i do say so myself.The problem was something to do with taking the company LTD and enterprise inns werent being flexible at all i think.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

polo wrote: I didn't know this thread was on here otherwise idve commented ages ago. Its nice to hear good comments about that place as it was run by my family Gina is my aunt and scott and samantha are my cousins i've even worked there a couple of times.It was so run down and they really did turn that place around when they got it and its a shame to see all that hard work go to waste.On the plus side they got offered the fleece in farsley which opened a couple of weeks back now so hopefully now with the owl closed it will mean less competition and the place will get a bit of business i know the food will be a hit even if i do say so myself.The problem was something to do with taking the company LTD and enterprise inns werent being flexible at all i think. The Fleece now sells Black Sheep and it's the best pint in the area and I wish the new Tenant all the best in this endeavour!The culvert under the Owl was redesigned and made bigger in the 70's as the road flooded very badly before this.
ex-Armley lad

polo

Post by polo »

ooh black sheep my fave. Now ive gotta go down to see the place and for a catch up

trophy

Post by trophy »

the beck used to be open between rodley lane and the road on the side of the canal .and is now in a closed drain this used to overflow.

trophy

Post by trophy »

passed today workmen were repairing the flat roof.???

trophy

Post by trophy »

the owl seems to have some new signs up.????