The Primrose, Meanwood Road

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

This Leodis pic shows the Fox Inn, shown on the OS map, in 1956. Chemimike- is the name of the pub obscured by blue line the White Horse?
Attachments
__TFMF_4xygp1bmeavrqx552jr1zmaa_259a2311-545c-43cb-829e-f75a1bb8ee8e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4xygp1bmeavrqx552jr1zmaa_259a2311-545c-43cb-829e-f75a1bb8ee8e_0_main.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Yes DrapesyUn-added map area below

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Visible upper right quarter, undated but up to late 50's 60's a high density population.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's an intriguing photo Jogon. If I've got it right that is Meanwood Road running diagonally across with the Primrose pub being the white building at the junction with Buslingthorpe Lane (with my lack of knowledge of Leeds I'm probably though totally wrong!).I wonder what is the long double looking row of small spire-like things next to part of Meanwood Road that seems not to be a building (there is a large chimney next to them)?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

liits

Post by liits »

Viewed from a different angle...."1930 Aerial view of Carr Mills. Meanwood Road runs from the centre of the left edge to the bottom right corner. Buslingthorpe Lane curves upwards from the junction towards the right edge. Carr Mills complex is in the centre. At this time it was the premises of Haworth Bros, woollen printers, Peter Laycock, woollen manufacturer, A.B. Spink drysalter and J.C. Spink chemicals."http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Those photos blow my mind. At that point it's clearly a thriving area, as built-up and industrious as any part of Leeds, and by the start of the '70s 90% of it (and virtually all of the housing) is just gone. To be replaced by... well, bugger all for the most part! And yet the Primrose endures...

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that photo liits. So the spire-like things are on a building. I would never have been any good at interpreting aerial images but I did at least identify the streets correctly! The shape of the outside buildings makes much of the Carr Mills complex look like the walls surrounding a castle. Interesting how Buslingthorpe Lane bends so that the straight line of the buildings there is maintained, so perhaps the road there came after the buildings.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

You're correct earlier, Leo, and thanks (liits) for same/diff view.It's a pub I've not been in. Across the road and in towards Leeds were loads of brick back2backs.There was an interesting post elsewhere when ?parlington mentioned refurb of a mill to student accom there.He said it had a "..natural powerful flow of water off the escarpment.." ie - fresh water inthis wouldve been used in tannery?dyeing? thence Meanwood beckie - waste water outI had assumed this was down from the (same) Potternewton side.In fact it was from the oppo side of Meanw'd Rd ie Hyde Park / Delph Mount ridge.    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

mark1978 wrote: Those photos blow my mind. At that point it's clearly a thriving area, as built-up and industrious as any part of Leeds, and by the start of the '70s 90% of it (and virtually all of the housing) is just gone. To be replaced by... well, bugger all for the most part! And yet the Primrose endures... if you analyse it thats the story of of almost the whole of Leeds. The original city centre was ringed by a dense conurbation of industry 'cheek by jowl' with back to back hi density housing ( going clockwise, and off the top of my head)- Sheepscar,Chapeltown/Leylands, Harehills, Buslingthorpe, East End Park/YorkRoad, Hunslet/Pottery Fields, Holbeck, New Wortley, Burley, Woodhouse and Buslingthorpe. All these areas are almost all levelled now, the pubs, houses ,shops and factories virtualyl all gone - replaced by roads , modern warehouses and 'industrial units' and empty sites. The only real exception being the area to the North west of the city centre up to the University,    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Yes, I suppose that's true. Buslingthorpe is still a little unusual I think though because of the mixture of stuff - the quarries and farming alongside the more usual mills and terraced housing. Plus the geography of the place - the steep slope with things poking out of it at unusual angles. And yes, plenty of empty sites across the city post-slum clearances, but maybe not many quite as empty/undeveloped as Buslingthorpe, with so many traces of what was flattened.Very much a novice with a lot of this stuff, so I'm aware I may very well be talking complete rubbish here!