Leeds Lost Pubs - Part 2

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
jim

Post by jim »

Duncan certainly open today - doors and windows open, people inside - and no boards at 15.00.

liits

Post by liits »

yorkiesknob wrote: Never thought they had an old one. The Parksider wrote: cnosni wrote: Looks like the Duncan is closed Impossible, they'd just got a new carpet. Many years ago, I recall the New Penny being closed on a Sunday for the fitting of a new carpet. This caused quite a bit of uproar as the Sunday lunchtime session [this was before all day opening on a Sunday] was one of the most popular and uproarious sessions of the week – if you liked that sort of thing.At the time, I was quite surprised as I never realised that the place even had a carpet to renew and that the floor was either tarmac or concrete [and not, contrary to popular belief, covered in glued down 50p pieces].

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

It looks like The Dog & Gun on York Road might be about to join this list - as I drove past yesterday I noticed a property agents board outside offering a "1.4 acre site for redevelopment opportunities"...That would leave the White Horse as the last pub still open on York Road from Leeds all the way out to the Old Red Lion (which has also been offered for sale...)
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

simong

Post by simong »

Just over the city boundary at Greengates, the Roebuck has been demolished for the site to become a Farmfoods according to the T&A. Both it and the Seven Stars across the road have struggled for years but it was surprising to see the building knocked down completely today.

simong

Post by simong »

More on the Owl at Rodley: just seen in the Pudsey Squeaker (good little community/local history magazine for LS28 ) that Cllr Rod Wood is still talking to Enterprise about its future so it might not be becoming a Tesco Metro just yet.    

polo

Post by polo »

If it still stays a pub (which i do hope) gina the previous landlady will be fuming after all the work that went into that place just for someone else to inherit it. Enterprise inns have no regard for what the place becomes as long as it makes the most profit.Sorry to say but if it does stay a pub the only reason for that will be is that is will be the more profitable option.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Enterprise ins manage a property portfolio financed by beer sales. If the income stream is insufficient to finance the property the asset value is realised and retrnd to the company for investment in other property. Pubs are incidental to their business plan. For another local example see associated tower cinemas or ATc.

liits

Post by liits »

Cardiarms wrote: Enterprise ins manage a property portfolio financed by beer sales. Actually, Enterprise, Punch etc, etc, manage a property portfolio financed by rents and beer sales. It was always a condition of leases that you bought your beer from the Pub-Co [there were variations on this, some stipulated that you also bought your cider, alco-pops and or soft drinks or wines or, of late, spirits and or wine through them] but now many of them have reverted to the old Grand Met “Inntrprenure” trick of stipulating how much you must buy [and this is being written into new leases]. Many leases now find that they are having to buy stock that they cannot possibly sell or that they have to sell at a loss just to comply with the terms of their lease.Just before Star Pubs & Bars [the former Scottish & Newcastle Pub Enterprises] became part of the Heineken “Family” they fitted flow-meters to the lines in all of their leased houses. While Star don’t have the restrictive practice of minimum quantity orders, they make sure that what you sell tallies with what you order – so no sneaking off to the wholesaler to buy your beer at less than half the price.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Slightly different.A new pub "The Atlas" has opened today in the former Irish bank Building on King Street.I haven't been in as I had noticed it getting ready but spotted it was open on my way home tonight.Named after the statue of Atlas over the door which is a hangover from it's previous use.Looked nice through window but don't know if it has real ale or not.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: Slightly different.A new pub "The Atlas" has opened today in the former Irish bank Building on King Street.I haven't been in as I had noticed it getting ready but spotted it was open on my way home tonight.Named after the statue of Atlas over the door which is a hangover from it's previous use.Looked nice through window but don't know if it has real ale or not. Im sure you'll find out Steve,im sure you will take one for the team and make the self sacrifice of entering licenced premises
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com