The Albion on Canal road

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Has it reopened? Looked like the shutters had been removed on Weds when I went past on the bus, look like its in pub-mode but didn't see any signs.....

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Wanderer wrote: Has it reopened? Looked like the shutters had been removed on Weds when I went past on the bus, look like its in pub-mode but didn't see any signs..... Do you please mean Armley Road ??    If so it is indeed a mystery, but it definitely seems to have been fitted throughout with new PVC small paned windows. The classy brewery signs seem also to have been refurbished. I only see it as a rule though from the Headingley train.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

The Golden Lion was the pub at the top of Canal Road where it meets Armley Road, just below Branch Road on the other side. I know as I used to cross the road with the lollipop lady after I had left Armley Clock School and run down Canal Road to where I lived at 99. I did a visit last year to Leeds and took photos of all the pubs closed down Armley Road for nostalga sake so if one of them is opening well thats OK it makes a change from closing them all of the time.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

gars21

Post by gars21 »

will never be a pub again, the bar was ripped out earlier this year, will presumably be offices, they dont seem in any rush to complete the work mind.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

gars21 wrote: will never be a pub again, the bar was ripped out earlier this year, will presumably be offices, they dont seem in any rush to complete the work mind. Shame,place had a lot of character and old style about it.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

When i moved to Armley coming up to 10 years ago all three of the pubs were open (Golden Lion/Nelson and I forgot the name of the other but going from this it must be the Albion).And then they all closed one after the other.One day when i was bored I went in all three for a pint and they all seemed friendly enough although at least a couple seemed to be on their last legs.From what I can see when I drive past now one has become an Indian, another seems to be residential/but more likely offices I should imagine but the Golden Lion is still a right eyesore.I doubt there's any other small area of Leeds (of England?) where three pubs closed so close to each other closed down in such a small amount of time.Leading on from that it's funny how certain areas have escaped pretty much unscathed from the big pub cull (Farsley, Headingley (although that's obviously because of students), Chapel Allerton) but in other areas there's been carnage - probably the worst hit would be an area connecting Armley, Bramley, Kirkstall, Burley, West Park, Becketts Park. Pudsey has been pretty badly hit too.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Catweazle wrote: When i moved to Armley coming up to 10 years ago all three of the pubs were open (Golden Lion/Nelson and I forgot the name of the other but going from this it must be the Albion).And then they all closed one after the other.One day when i was bored I went in all three for a pint and they all seemed friendly enough although at least a couple seemed to be on their last legs.From what I can see when I drive past now one has become an Indian, another seems to be residential/but more likely offices I should imagine but the Golden Lion is still a right eyesore.I doubt there's any other small area of Leeds (of England?) where three pubs closed so close to each other closed down in such a small amount of time.Leading on from that it's funny how certain areas have escaped pretty much unscathed from the big pub cull (Farsley, Headingley (although that's obviously because of students), Chapel Allerton) but in other areas there's been carnage - probably the worst hit would be an area connecting Armley, Bramley, Kirkstall, Burley, West Park, Becketts Park. Pudsey has been pretty badly hit too. The 'other' was the Rose and Crown, - The Albion is much further down Armley Road, on its own
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.