sun inn kirkstall

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

sad to see such a great pub now a furniture store, they always had a great pint in there.
rf1104651

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Fletch wrote: sad to see such a great pub now a furniture store, they always had a great pint in there. Even sadder Fletch - although its still full of furniture it appears now to be closed most or all of the time - certainly was again a couple of hours ago !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

book

Post by book »

It used to be a good walk along Kirkstll Rd stopping off in the pubs and the old cardigan club
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

carith

Post by carith »

I remember the old cardigan club wasnt it on cross cardigan mount.

Spackler

Post by Spackler »

Never saw anyone in there for years as a pub. Its a shame these pubs are disappearing but if no one drinks in there its inevitable. At least as a building its now being used.

book

Post by book »

carith wrote: I remember the old cardigan club wasnt it on cross cardigan mount. River side of Kirkstall Rd. it might have become the Milford? I'll check with my father in law, he used it a lot. I remember crossing the road to get to the club. Most of the pubs, if not all, were on t'other side.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

I seem to remember the club on the Burley road side of Kirkstall Rd, opp the Milford pub approx. Further down on the left before the viaduct was the Tomato dip cafe ( well that's what we use to call it).The upstairs in the club, they use to put strippers on every Sunday lunch, one of the first to do so in the area. Early 70s and as a spotty young teen it was the front row for me , pint of mild close by.    
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

I have a great photo of my Grandad outside the Milford Club. He used to be in the Billiard Team and they won a cup in 1936. I still cant put photos on here so you will have to believe me.I did have an occassion to go to the Tomato Dip in about 1964, which stayed open very late. I met a great guy at a club in Leeds and he was with the Group playing that night. They were called Mickey Finn and the Bluefinns. I had never eaten bacon and egg in the middle of the night before and still havent after all of these years.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

ArmleyLass47 wrote: I did have an occassion to go to the Tomato Dip in about 1964, which stayed open very late. I have to confess to being a fairly frequent "small hours" visitor to the Tomato Dip in the 1960s - the thought of the wonderful texture of the large white breadcake well soaked in hot tomato juice and fruit has set me yearning again for those halcyon days     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

BLAKEY wrote: ArmleyLass47 wrote: I did have an occassion to go to the Tomato Dip in about 1964, which stayed open very late. I have to confess to being a fairly frequent "small hours" visitor to the Tomato Dip in the 1960s - the thought of the wonderful texture of the large white breadcake well soaked in hot tomato juice and fruit has set me yearning again for those halcyon days      Those little things in life Blakey that please us all so easily eh ?
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !