Pubs worth celebrating

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

drapesy wrote: And a similar shot of this wonderful pub taken a few days ago. My dad was a big wrestling fan and when it was on at the town hall he used to take me in the Victoria during the interval. I think he was mates with the landlord because I was only about 10 at the time. Probably my first real experience of a pub. These days when I pass it always seems empty, If I drink around there its in the George or The Tavern.    

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Si wrote: When is he getting it back in, Farnleybloke? I used to go in the Beulah donkey's years ago, and it would be nice to try Imperial again after all these years, and revisit an old haunt!CheersSi Me too - we used to walk up through post hill and sit in the beer garden when I was a kid, then when I played for Farnley CC, before the new pavillion was built, we'd all pile into the Beulah after matches and take over the centre room facing out onto the beer garden. Must've been about from about 1990 onwards I guess. Haven't been in there for years now, what with living on the other side of Leeds, but might have a trip back over, especially if there's a pint of Imperial......

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Si, Squatch sorry for the late reply. Not sure when he's getting it back in. I'll have a word with him and bully him into it The Beulah's a great pub but unfortunately it's not been made the best it can be over the last 10 years or so. I worked there on and off from 1998 to 2001 for the last 3 Landladies and still cover the staff xmas party outing every year (for a fee of course). If anyones interested in the history then i have a few titbits:In the car park there was originally an attached school room. One of the cleaners has been working there over 40 years and can tell numerous ghostly stories and tales of bricked up babies skeletons found in old fire places during refurbishments. Apparently one of the ghosts is an old cellerman that fell to his death down the cellar steps.I've stayed there on numerous occasions by myself and it's a very spooky building full of creaks and bangs. It appears on the 1852 map but i'm not sure when it was actually built. On the guttering above the side door there are a number of Star of David's and the name itself: Beulah is Hebrew i believe so there is definately some form of jewish connection.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Festwerfer wrote: drapesy wrote: And a similar shot of this wonderful pub taken a few days ago. My dad was a big wrestling fan and when it was on at the town hall he used to take me in the Victoria during the interval. I think he was mates with the landlord because I was only about 10 at the time. Probably my first real experience of a pub. These days when I pass it always seems empty, If I drink around there its in the George or The Tavern.     Here's the George on Great George Street.
Attachments
__TFMF_ffolrp45urbinc45p4ygmnfq_dd9344de-f4d4-4f58-b234-fe390cb0822c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ffolrp45urbinc45p4ygmnfq_dd9344de-f4d4-4f58-b234-fe390cb0822c_0_main.jpg (185.54 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Some good news!!!The wonderful little' Highland ' is open once again - and with a great pint of tetley's cask available.I urge all secret Leeders to check out this gem of a Leeds Pub!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

Excellent news, Drapesy!I used to go in there a lot round about 1980. Great little pub. See you there!

Si

Post by Si »

stevief wrote: raveydavey wrote: Hats Off wrote: drapesy wrote: stevief wrote: drapesy wrote: Whilst In Chapel Allerton here's the Nag's Head. I always remember this pub as being whitewashed - but now its been painted in colour. That's a new one on me.Is it Sam Smiths? If so I've been passed it. It is sam smith's - or at least it was in the 70's/80s/90s Yes it's still a Sammy Smith's pub, their bitter was never to my taste, much prefer The Regent's Tetley bitter, also I think The Regent is one of the few places that still sells Tetley mild. The Victoria Hotel (behind the Town Hall) still does Tetley Mild, although it was "off" last time I was in. The Templar has Tetleys Mild,and a nice drop! Had a nice pint of Tetley's mild in the Bay Horse, Otley on Christmas day night. There was only me and the wife in there!

Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: It's a shame about the Bankhouse. I used to go in there a lot 25 years ago. The ceiling was very low, so with all the copper and brass you had to watch yer 'ead. At Christmas, the landlord would go down Keeper Lane and cut loads of evergreen branches, and then hang them from the ceiling, too. You had to walk round bent double or stand there in your own little festive forest! I remember the beer at the time was Youngers. No. 3 or IPA. Bloody Hell you dont see No 3 any more,usd to drink that in Hoagys in my Yoof Had a couple of pints of Leeds Brewery Midnight Bell in the Spite near Otley, yesterday. Reminded me a little of No. 3! (dark and spicy.)

tippi

Post by tippi »

Hi Sorry for being a bit late in adding to this but I'm new here! Just read the threads about the Beulah. I just wanted to add that it must have existed in 1838 as I have a hand written parchment detailing the births of my daughter's paternal great great great ....grandmother. She was born to a Thomas and Elizabeth Dean in November 1838 at the Beulah Inn, Farnley Leeds. She was the sixth child. I doubt that her father was the landlord as when he married at Leeds Parish Church in 1828 he was listed as a coachman of Bramhope Hall. I hope it was not any of her siblings whose bones were found behind the fire !

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Great pub, with a great history - the Beulah. here's a pic.
Attachments
__TFMF_oov43555nv02z33qbcrim3q2_dda0384d-7ebb-4075-8187-eb996fad1fa6_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_oov43555nv02z33qbcrim3q2_dda0384d-7ebb-4075-8187-eb996fad1fa6_0_main.jpg (180.75 KiB) Viewed 1355 times