Pubs worth celebrating

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
simong

Post by simong »

Si wrote: I think Imperial was brewed in Carlisle, if I remember right. I didn't know you could still get it. It was brewed at Castle Eden in County Durham. When I was at university in Middlesbrough that and Castle Eden itself were fixtures in the student's union and lot of places that we frequented. Imperial was relatively dark, possibly even a mild, probably designed as a session beer for miners and steelworkers, and Castle Eden was lighter. I haven't seen either for ages, although a quick google suggests that Cameron's took over brewing Castle Eden and that Imperial is now brewed in Leeds.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: I'm not sure where to put this, but I've noticed that the old Warrington's (?) signs on The Albion, Armley Road, have been covered up with silver cladding. I'll try and find out why. Walkers. It was a former Walkers house. It was all red inside and out when I went in - a long time since - they were the Walkers colours. I remember Tetleys merging with Walkers -whether it was before or after they took over Melbourne I couldn't say. They became Tetley-Walker, they then merged with Ind-Coope Alsop and became Ind-Coope-Alsop-Tetley Walker which was a bit of a mouthful - renamed Allied Brewers. Alsop's logo was a squirrel in the past the last outpost of Tetleys east of the Pennines was in Clay Cross Derbyshire - the next pub down the road in Stretton was Alsop.
Industria Omnia Vincit

dlm2310

Post by dlm2310 »

Clankylad wrote: I used to go to the Eagle a lot in the early 90s - they used to have good live bands on, and with the New Roscoe and the Regent it made up quite a decent little pub rock scene.Les Moon was the landlord then, a top bloke who used to have the Duck and Drake before that, if I remember rightly (the Duck was a good music pub then too).Anyone know what happened to Les after the Eagle? Hi,Les Moon is my dad who was the landlord of the Eagle Tavern from March 1989 to October 1996. At the time it was a Timothy Taylor leased house from Sam Smiths and reverted back to Sam's when my dad left.Les bought the One Eye'd Rat in Ripon and ran it from Oct 1996 to July 2005 until his retirement. He still owns the pub which is now run on a lease basis.He is now 62 and enjoying life.I had some good times at the Eagle and fond memories.CheersDarren Moon

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

dlm2310 wrote: Clankylad wrote: I used to go to the Eagle a lot in the early 90s - they used to have good live bands on, and with the New Roscoe and the Regent it made up quite a decent little pub rock scene.Les Moon was the landlord then, a top bloke who used to have the Duck and Drake before that, if I remember rightly (the Duck was a good music pub then too).Anyone know what happened to Les after the Eagle? Hi,Les Moon is my dad who was the landlord of the Eagle Tavern from March 1989 to October 1996. At the time it was a Timothy Taylor leased house from Sam Smiths and reverted back to Sam's when my dad left.Les bought the One Eye'd Rat in Ripon and ran it from Oct 1996 to July 2005 until his retirement. He still owns the pub which is now run on a lease basis.He is now 62 and enjoying life.I had some good times at the Eagle and fond memories.CheersDarren Moon happy days saw some great prowlers gigs at the Eagle
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

my favourite pub is The Browadway in Beestonthey sell nice wine, it's cosmopolitan, they have decent bands-styckleback, the standards and so on, a resonable guest hand pulled beer.It's great to sit outside on summer evenings watching police cars chasing stolen ford fiestas.

Si

Post by Si »

Trojan wrote: Si wrote: I'm not sure where to put this, but I've noticed that the old Warrington's (?) signs on The Albion, Armley Road, have been covered up with silver cladding. I'll try and find out why. Walkers. It was a former Walkers house. It was all red inside and out when I went in - a long time since - they were the Walkers colours. I remember Tetleys merging with Walkers -whether it was before or after they took over Melbourne I couldn't say. They became Tetley-Walker, they then merged with Ind-Coope Alsop and became Ind-Coope-Alsop-Tetley Walker which was a bit of a mouthful - renamed Allied Brewers. Alsop's logo was a squirrel in the past the last outpost of Tetleys east of the Pennines was in Clay Cross Derbyshire - the next pub down the road in Stretton was Alsop. You're right, Trojan. Apparently, the Albion is closed this week for a £90K refurb, hence the cladding. Looks like there'll be new signage, then.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

fevlad wrote: my favourite pub is The Browadway in Beestonthey sell nice wine, it's cosmopolitan, they have decent bands-styckleback, the standards and so on, a resonable guest hand pulled beer.It's great to sit outside on summer evenings watching police cars chasing stolen ford fiestas. That's a big change from about 10 years ago then. At that stage "glassings" were an almost nightly occurence and you were safer in the much rougher looking Tommy Wass.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

tyke bhoy wrote: fevlad wrote: my favourite pub is The Browadway in Beestonthey sell nice wine, it's cosmopolitan, they have decent bands-styckleback, the standards and so on, a resonable guest hand pulled beer.It's great to sit outside on summer evenings watching police cars chasing stolen ford fiestas. That's a big change from about 10 years ago then. At that stage "glassings" were an almost nightly occurence and you were safer in the much rougher looking Tommy Wass. they had a landlord in who turned it round. he's moved on now.It has friendly buzzing atmos on a night, and it's great sittting outside on a summers evening, people supping, chatting and having a laugh.One thing I don't like about it is some of the pictures on the wall. I can just imagine the scanario as they prepared for the refurb and were brainstorming with the design consultants.'Ah yes South Leeds-it's a strong rugby area'.the result?Pictures of saint jonny woilkinson taking gal kicks all over the place.    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I notice the New Inn on Dewsbury Rd has a 'closed till further notice' sign hopefully only temporary. Not much sign of life at the Pointer in Sheepscar or 'Kirkstall lites' either
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

drapesy wrote: I notice the New Inn on Dewsbury Rd has a 'closed till further notice' sign hopefully only temporary. Not much sign of life at the Pointer in Sheepscar or 'Kirkstall lites' either the skinners arms at thje bottom of scotthall rd has got the metal shutters up as well