Pubs worth celebrating

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

I'll celebrate the Arcadia headingley and Town st tavern Horsforth, both relatively new and part of a "chain" but the owners have got it dead right for anyone who likes a friendly atmosphere and superb beer. Leeds Pale lately. No juke boxes and no flashing fruit machines that I detest. Well done Market Town Taverns

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

The Parksider wrote: I'll celebrate the Arcadia headingley and Town st tavern Horsforth, both relatively new and part of a "chain" but the owners have got it dead right for anyone who likes a friendly atmosphere and superb beer. Leeds Pale lately. No juke boxes and no flashing fruit machines that I detest. Well done Market Town Taverns cracking pub as is its sister the Town Street Tavern in Horsforth.Both were pioneers in the banning of smoking.all you hear when ytou go in is the hubbub of conversation.it's hard to decide what to sup sometimesinteresting british beers, european beer and a gluggable range of wines
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

stevief

Post by stevief »

The Parksider wrote: I'll celebrate the Arcadia headingley and Town st tavern Horsforth, both relatively new and part of a "chain" but the owners have got it dead right for anyone who likes a friendly atmosphere and superb beer. Leeds Pale lately. No juke boxes and no flashing fruit machines that I detest. Well done Market Town Taverns Some Market Town Taverns have a sign on the door "Children not Permitted,Dogs Allowed" Arcadia is a lovely place,I first visited long before the smoking banand it was unusual to smell freshly ground coffee on entry rather than a stale tobacco fug.

Si

Post by Si »

I like The Bay Horse in Otley. Small, old-fashioned, nice atmosphere and a decent pint. Still do Tetley Mild. Get's a bit "Brian Blessed" around Otley Folk Festival time, though! Black Bull and The Yeoman aren't bad, either. In town it's The Pallace or Duck and Drake.

Mustafaster

Post by Mustafaster »

drapesy wrote: The Highland- I love this pub - it's TINY inside!!! I just found this photo and it almost brought tears to my eyes.Just about the perfect pub.I was lucky enough to play for the short-lived footy team, the legendary Republicca Highland.Thanks so much for the photo. [img]http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/images ... forum.jpeg [/img]
FORWARD IN ALL DIRECTIONS

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

Hi,Sorry late replying but have just joined,I used to go to the spring close Friday nights in the late eighties with friend Pauline and then with our husbands Saturday night,It was the most friendly pub with no trouble.The landlord at the time was Don and wife Sheila they had a daughter Donna.Also does anyone know what Cullens was called in the eighties? It was owned by Sue and Gillie.
Ex Leeds Lass

Samson

Post by Samson »

I always remember the Gaping Goose at Garforth as a great pub. It was one of the last I remember that had a waiter in one of the rooms and he brought beer to order. Great Tetley bitter and mild.I mention it as, although living in Leeds, it was 10-30 last orders, so it was a jump into the cars with the non drinking drivers to the Gaping Goose as it was open until 11-00pm. It was always a decent pub with good hand pulled beer. I wonder if anyone can let me know what it like today? (Hopefully the same)
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Samson wrote: I always remember the Gaping Goose at Garforth as a great pub. It was one of the last I remember that had a waiter in one of the rooms and he brought beer to order. Great Tetley bitter and mild.I mention it as, although living in Leeds, it was 10-30 last orders, so it was a jump into the cars with the non drinking drivers to the Gaping Goose as it was open until 11-00pm. It was always a decent pub with good hand pulled beer. I wonder if anyone can let me know what it like today? (Hopefully the same) I've fond memories of the Gaping Goose in the 70's and early 80's. When we were returning from playing rugby East of Leeds, (Selby, Scarboro, Brid, driffield etc) or from Donny or Lincolnshire we always called there for a pint or few of Tets.

Ruffarse

Post by Ruffarse »

Used to call in the GG in the same time zone, Loiner. We problably used to be boozing/rugby mates. Was that the time Frank Crowther (EX Bramley RUFC) had it or was he later? Also Chequers at Ledsham was a good stop after the East Yorks games. Also Wild Man on A64, Fox & Grapes at Seacroft till it became a kiddies pub.Once remember in Chequers, one of the lads went to the bog and about 12 of us hid in the next room. He came out, panicked, and ran to the car park, thinking we'd gone without him. At this stage, we all moved back into the back room, with pints in hands as tho nothing had happened. Should have seen his face when he came back in. Priceless!Keep it coming.
Old Mods never die, they just semi retire.

Ruffarse

Post by Ruffarse »

FLOJO wrote "Also does anyone know what Cullens was called in In the Eighties"I might be wrong on this one FJ, but I think it was Steps bar.
Old Mods never die, they just semi retire.