Pubs worth celebrating

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Does anyone remember ALL this monologue?(with audienceparticipation!);Speaker; 'They're knocking the old house down!'Audience; BOOOOO!Speaker;' But they're building a PUB instead!'Aud;     ' Hurraaaay!'Spkr;     ' They're not selling beer'Aud;        ' Booooooooo!' Spkr;        'They're givin' it away!Aud;         'Raaaaaay!'Spkr;         'There's only one bar!'Aud;         'Booooooo!Spkr;         '100 yards long!' Aud;            'Raaaaaay!Spkr;         'Barman's gone sick!' Aud;             'Boooooo! Spkr;            'We've hired 25 topless barmaids'There's lots more and I'd love to hear the rest!

simong

Post by simong »

fevlad wrote: One of my favourite venues for live music was the central-presumably named after Central station which would have been opposite back in the day-good for blues and soul. Now it's called the Wellington I think and is pretty anonymous. I've long assumed that the Welly must have been a station pub when Central was there. I can't remember what it was in the mid-80s, when I would take the National coach from Doncaster to Middlesbrough fairly often, and would always have half an hour or an hour between buses at the old coach station. This was often on a Sunday afternoon and even after the licensing laws changed there were no pubs open around there. The Welly is a pretty mediocre place these days: it's a regular haunt of the cops based at the Bridewell and BT and Direct Line staff, but it seems to run out of beer regularly, it closes when they feel like it and a previous manager was apparently sacked for severely cooking the books!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

simong wrote: fevlad wrote: One of my favourite venues for live music was the central-presumably named after Central station which would have been opposite back in the day-good for blues and soul. Now it's called the Wellington I think and is pretty anonymous. I've long assumed that the Welly must have been a station pub when Central was there. I can't remember what it was in the mid-80s, when I would take the National coach from Doncaster to Middlesbrough fairly often, and would always have half an hour or an hour between buses at the old coach station. This was often on a Sunday afternoon and even after the licensing laws changed there were no pubs open around there. The Welly is a pretty mediocre place these days: it's a regular haunt of the cops based at the Bridewell and BT and Direct Line staff, but it seems to run out of beer regularly, it closes when they feel like it and a previous manager was apparently sacked for severely cooking the books! It was indeed called the'Central' in the mid 80's - I worked nearby and went in quite often. It had previously been the 'Central Station'
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

drapesy wrote: simong wrote: fevlad wrote: One of my favourite venues for live music was the central-presumably named after Central station which would have been opposite back in the day-good for blues and soul. Now it's called the Wellington I think and is pretty anonymous. I've long assumed that the Welly must have been a station pub when Central was there. I can't remember what it was in the mid-80s, when I would take the National coach from Doncaster to Middlesbrough fairly often, and would always have half an hour or an hour between buses at the old coach station. This was often on a Sunday afternoon and even after the licensing laws changed there were no pubs open around there. The Welly is a pretty mediocre place these days: it's a regular haunt of the cops based at the Bridewell and BT and Direct Line staff, but it seems to run out of beer regularly, it closes when they feel like it and a previous manager was apparently sacked for severely cooking the books! It was indeed called the'Central' in the mid 80's - I worked nearby and went in quite often. It had previously been the 'Central Station' Drapesy ,Late eighties i worked in National Express offices which were opposite the Central and would go sometimes for lunch, but one of the inspectors at the coach station used to sneak in between coaches leaving and got caught by someone from head office in Birmingham so we had to change to Cullens on York Place.
Ex Leeds Lass

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Drapsey, thank you for directing me to this thread have printed it out for Dad....having read that thread I see you are an expert on the leeds pubs scene! I am at present going through leodis looking for the Shakespear Hotel, now, this was Dad's first pub even though he used to drink at the Brookfield this was his first pub with his mates near where to where he worked, also looking for the White Swan near the Star and Garter also he wanted to know, do you knowwhy The Station hotel, near the Star was called that as there was to his knowledge, no station nearby?also, I learned my aunt used to live in the houses/stables behind the Black Bull..Did that bloke ever get his Leeds pubs 1750 to date off the ground do you know?CheersShelley

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Shelley wrote: Drapsey, thank you for directing me to this thread have printed it out for Dad....having read that thread I see you are an expert on the leeds pubs scene! I am at present going through leodis looking for the Shakespear Hotel, now, this was Dad's first pub even though he used to drink at the Brookfield this was his first pub with his mates near where to where he worked, also looking for the White Swan near the Star and Garter also he wanted to know, do you knowwhy The Station hotel, near the Star was called that as there was to his knowledge, no station nearby?also, I learned my aunt used to live in the houses/stables behind the Black Bull..Did that bloke ever get his Leeds pubs 1750 to date off the ground do you know?CheersShelley I suppose this really ought to be on the lost pubs thread but here's a leodis pic of the Shakespeare on Lady Pit Lane.There is a pic of the Star and Garter on page 1 and the White swan on page 4 of the lost pubs thread. they were near each other on Call Lane - I assume these are the pubs you mean.Re the Station - I'm a bit confused - are you asking about a pub in this same area (i.e Call Lane / Duncan Street)?? if so I,m unaware of a 'Station' hotel in this vicinity(there was a 'Central Market Hotel' is this perhaps what is meant?)As for Jimbo and his Leeds pubs book - I'm afraid I can't help - but I've cerainly not heard about it - and I'm sure I would have seen it if it had come out.It's a bit of a strange case - Jimbo joined the site about 18 months ago and requested help on his proposed book. He also posted quite a lot of very interesting info - and certainly seemed to know his stuff. I offered to help and we exchanged a couple of general e-mails. However, when I asked him how specifically he wanted me to help(and having a done a bit of writing, some of it semi-professional, I asked him what was 'in it for me' ,not unreasonably I thought!) I never heard from him again. he never answered anymore e-mails and stopped posting on Secret Leeds , so its a bit of a mystery i'm afraid.    
Attachments
__TFMF_tagjca55imvadbyskrsfd255_257261b7-3d68-40a4-b73e-83bfde518159_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_tagjca55imvadbyskrsfd255_257261b7-3d68-40a4-b73e-83bfde518159_0_main.jpg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

BobRustNeverSleeps

Post by BobRustNeverSleeps »

First post on Secret Leeds having browsed for ages. Any other memories of the Blue Sounds? My old man was in them!
1, 4, 93, 96, 655, 755 not 28