Pubs worth celebrating

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Trojan wrote: drapesy wrote: LS12 wrote: Has anybody got a photo of the then 'Hope and Anchor' which is now the New Penny on Call lane? Ive looked on Leodis and there are no clear pics, due ones where it is in distant viewThanks Here's a recent pic - I dont have an old pic of when it was the 'hope and anchor'     When it was the "Hope and Anchor" it was notorious as being the haunt of the gay community - homosexuality then either being just legal or still illegal. There was an expose of this pub in one of the Sunday papers.In March/April 1968 Leeds Utd played Rangers, I was in Leeds that day completing the purchase of my first house at a solicitor's office on Park Square. City Square was absolutely thronged with Rangers fans. They apparently ran riot and wrecked the "Hope and Anchor" Presumably that was why when refurbished it changed its name. I think it was renamed just after decimalisation (1971) the name would not have made much sense before that!- It was not just as the 'Hope and Anchor' that it was a gay bar - it always has been since and still is.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

simonm

Post by simonm »

fevlad wrote: ah yes them wot tdaysgood old fashioned football violenceyou don't see that any morewell you do actually Not like the days gone by, thank god. Gone are the days, in this country of large scale football violence, due to the massive leaps made by the police and relevant authorities.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

simonm wrote: fevlad wrote: ah yes them wot tdaysgood old fashioned football violenceyou don't see that any morewell you do actually Not like the days gone by, thank god. Gone are the days, in this country of large scale football violence, due to the massive leaps made by the police and relevant authorities. I was being a bit sarcastic simion referring obliquely to the 'things you don't see any more' thread.the lads can still be guaranteed to uphold those traditions when need be: didn't things kick off on the last day of last seasoN I understand visiting disabled supporters ewere terrorised.soccer has no dignity.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

simonm

Post by simonm »

Sorry Fev, thats the trouble with leccy media, I always miss the point, or end up causing trouble cos of it..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

simonm wrote: Sorry Fev, thats the trouble with leccy media, I always miss the point, or end up causing trouble cos of it.. tell me about it luv!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[name. I think it was renamed just after decimalisation (1971) the name would not have made much sense before that!- It was not just as the 'Hope and Anchor' that it was a gay bar - it always has been since and still is.    Possibly, but parts of the new coinage had been introduced in 1968. the fifty pence piece had replaced the ten bob note, and the 2/- piece and 1/- piece said 10p and 5p resepectively. Everyone knew that decimalisation was coming. However you're probably correct that it wasn't renamed until 1971. I must admit I didn't know that it was still a gay bar.
Industria Omnia Vincit

compton

Post by compton »

I think the main reason that the Hope&Anchor changed its name was because at that time it was known familiarly throughout Leeds as the Open A***hole,    
Rod

Si

Post by Si »

Si wrote: I'm not sure where to put this, but I've noticed that the old Warrington's (?) signs on The Albion, Armley Road, have been covered up with silver cladding. I'll try and find out why. The £92K refurb of The Albion is complete. The new signs are gloss black with gold serif lettering. Bit naff IMHO. Apart from redecorating and re-arranging the seating, most of the money must have been spent on the B&B upstairs.

Si

Post by Si »

Now been in the newly "refurbished" Albion - Simonm, if you have any good memories of the old place, DON'T GO IN !!!!!

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

drapesy wrote: The Fox and Newt, Burley StreetA pub thats had its ups and downs - Its original name - Rutland Hotel is in the stone work above.I remember it as a very poky old fashioned pub (whitbread)when I was in my student days at Park Lane - quite unfriendly too - we soon realised the Highland was a better bet for a pub- Hand pulled Tetleys instead of Keg Trophy too!It was then reinvented as the 'Fox and Newt' - expanded into what had been a shop next door - and started brewing its own beer - unusual to say the least. I think there was, or was intended to be a tie-in with the 'Crown' at Crown Point. If I remember right this was the 'Leeds Brewhouse Company'I believe brewing stopped and then started again (Burley brewery?) - Im sure they made a 'Burley Bitter' at this stage and a startling green beer!Its become a good pub for beer once more recently - lots of real ale choice, and I believe a third attempt at brewing on the premises. Good luck to them - a worthy venture (and live music!)Inside theres an interesting BYB mirror - I assume it was a BYB house pre- Whitbread. the fox and newt used to be a decent live music venue. I haven't been for years.One of my favourite venues for live music was the central-presumably named after Central station which would have been opposite back in the day-good for blues and soul. Now it's called the Wellington I think and is pretty anonymous.